Dual chamber to a single chamber

Participant count
  • Participant list

pike110
10+ year member

indiana
I have a box for 2 12" subs, It is a dual chamber vented enclosure. I want to make it a common chamber... Do I have to cut the divider all the way out or will cutting 2 or 4 large holes almost like baffles work?

Long story, Its for a home stereo. I bought some mtx home speakers... they had dual 12" woofers in both cabinets. I switch them out with kicker comps ported them and put dayton plate amps on each set of twelves. The boxes were 3.8 cubes and I put a divider in the box cutting it down to 2 cubes because I'm a dumbass...not thinking that two twelves needed double the space. So, better then taking out the divider that I don't think I can get out easily, I am going to use a hole saw and put 4 6" holes in the divider to get it back to 3.8 cubes and cut down the port some to get it tuned to 30hz.

Cutting holes in the divider won't change the tuning just because the volume "doubles". Each woofer see's about 2 cubes each with or without the divider. The port lengths wont change, you divide the volume by number of ports then tune, so 2 cubes divided by one port would be the same as 4 cubes divided by two ports. Dont make extra work, tune for each half of the box with one woofer, Its better anyway because even though the woofers are the same make and model, they can still interact with each other in unwanted ways....(Beyond scope of conversation).

I guess I should have said that there are two 12" subs in each cabinet... I put a divider in to isolate the two subs in the bottom 2/3 of the cabinet to cut it down to 2 cubes, but the 2 twelves in each box are already sharing the same chamber I just wanted to open the box back up because that volume is not enough for the two twelves. the horns and mids are in the top part of the box. I was just making sure that since I messed up and put the divider in, when I should have just left it alone. I wasn't thinking that two subs in a common chamber box need the volume of two. Would it even be worth my while to give the subs more volume? Would there be alot of difference between two subs in a 2 cube box opposed to a 3.8 cube box. The kicker specs say anywhere from 1.5 to 2 cubes for one sub.

box.jpg

like this??? so you just added the wall to make it a smaller space?

it will be tuned lower, but depending on the port length, and current tuning, that may be a good thing. if they are the classic dual 12" mtx cabinets that i'm thinking of, you have 2 ports on the lower back side. maybe thing about swapping them out for the desired tuning...if they are not already there.

bottom line: try it and see how they sound. if you want lower tuning, get longer ports.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.