Driver's side woofer, no sound...Need troubleshooting help!

Participant count
  • Participant list

1hawaii50
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
So I had Morel Dotech Ovation 6 components in the front doors of my car. The driver's side woofer began cutting in and out, seemingly at random. I was running them off a an ARC KS300.4 bridged with 350w going to each front door. I swapped the RCA's at the amp, and the problem stayed with the driver's side woofer. I pulled the door panel and pulled the woofer and it appears that the voice coil is shot. When you move the cone, it does not move freely, but is extremely "gritty" or "scratchy". I ordered a new set of Morel Maximo Ultra's and replaced the front door components this afternoon. The driver's side woofer still will not play, the tweeter seems to play fine.

I swapped the RCA's at the amp again, the driver's side woofer still will not play. I took the amp out of bridge mode and placed it into 4 channel mode, running the front doors off of the amp's front channels. Driver's side woofer still will not play. When I unhook the driver's side tweeter from the crossover, then the woofer will play. When I hook the tweeter back up, the tweeter will play, but no woofer. I disconnect the tweeter from the crossover and the woofer will play when connected to the woofer side of the crossover, and if I connect it to the tweeter side of the crossover, but when I connect the tweeter, the woofer will not play.

I switched the front doors to the rear channel of the amp, the driver's side woofer still will not play. I replaced the speaker wiring for the driver's side woofer...it still won't play, unless I disconnect the tweeter from the crossover.

Any ideas?

Tomorrow I'm going to run a new feed from the amp to the crossover to rule out the wiring. I'm also going to disconnect the Maximo Ultra tweeter and connect one of the Ovation tweeters to rule out the tweeter wiring.

What else can I do to track down this issue?

Pretty sure you burned the coil. 350w is a lot going to that little coil while headroom is fine the slightest amount of clipping will destroy the coil.

Put a multi meter on the coil and read resistance I'm betting it's at a dead short or an open circuit. More than likely the latter

Pretty sure you burned the coil. 350w is a lot going to that little coil while headroom is fine the slightest amount of clipping will destroy the coil.
Put a multi meter on the coil and read resistance I'm betting it's at a dead short or an open circuit. More than likely the latter
Yes, I damaged the voice coil on the woofer, however the replacement speaker still is giving me issues

The woofer on the replacement set still will not play unless I disconnect the tweeter. I also switched the amp back to 4 channel mode so it's only feeding 90w. I did this when I replaced the speakers...still no sound from the woofer.

Also, I replaced the entire component set, not just the blown woofer. I'm having problems with the new set...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Also, I replaced the entire component set, not just the blown woofer. I'm having problems with the new set...
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Swap the rca around left to right and see if the opposite side stops playing. If not check the amp and see if the channel failed

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.