Drilling Subs

AllenH427
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
When you are drilling in subs, what do you do to protect the surround? Last time I put my MTXs in, the drill hit the surround, but they are rubber so I dodged a bullet. Since they are going to be AQ SDC2.5s, I was thinking about having a friend drill the sub in place, while I hold a piece of wood, or use my hand as a guard. What do you guys do to ensure you don't drill right through your surround?

haha are you serious, If you cant figure this out maybe you shouldn't own a drill. You can put the sub up to the box use a pencil to mark where the screws go then pre-drill the holes. Then hand screw in the sub.

I just think its funny he'd risk his hand, over a sub. Lol.

Oh, And dewalt makes an "Apec" that has a sleeve that slides down over screws to keep things like this simple.

I used to have a bit that has a sleeve tha covers like 2" of the nail and slides up as the screw goes is so it is harder for the bit to slip off the screw. However now days I usualy use bolts/nuts rather than screws.

It is amazing how many people slip with there drills. I mean I have seen more subs with holes or scuffs then ones that are still perfect. How about this. USE the right bit for the screw you are using. Just because the bit fits the screw dosent mean its meant for it.

It is amazing how many people slip with there drills. I mean I have seen more subs with holes or scuffs then ones that are still perfect. How about this. USE the right bit for the screw you are using. Just because the bit fits the screw dosent mean its meant for it.
x2, this, I see what you did here!!!

I don't quite understand how people slip off screws this much. I have never done it, never.... not that hard

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.