Down firing box in suv

Participant count
  • Participant list

rick021808

Hey guys, just looking for some advice on a sub box I'm building. The last box I built was around 10 years ago for 2 15s so bass was not an issue. The last 10 years though, I have been buying pre built boxes from the car audio retailer's and they are usually always ported boxes. Anyways, my set up in my wife's suv (2015 sorento) is a 10" kicker comp vr. It's rated at 400 watts rms. I have a jl audio jx 500/1. 500 watts rms at 2 ohms. It was in a small 1 cu ft ported enclosure. But in the suv, there is hidden underfloor storage where I wanted to build a box. I have always built sealed boxes and figure it would still sound great but after getting it built and installed, I lost some low end bass. I added some poly fill into the box and it helped a bit but on some songs, It is still missing that low end bass. I am thinking of adding a port but I am trying to figure out what size to go with. Also, I've noticed people saying there boxes are tuned for a certain frequency. Just trying to figure out what I want? There is 2 songs that I listen to that are missing that low end. I think they are both around 32hz. One is charmillioner - Rockstar and other is young jezzy- soul survivor. The box is down firing and has around 3" or more to the floor. The opening is right behind the rear seat. For the port. I was going to make a vertical front facing port but that would interfere with the rear seat so I'm thinking of making a horizontal port that would fire under the rear seat. The maximum height for a port is 6.5" and the maximum width is 10". The vertical port, the top half would be against the rear seat and the bottom half would fire under the seat. It is the easiest to build. The internal volume of the box not including any ports is approximately 1.62 cu ft. Pictures and more info on sub is below.

View attachment 26553989

View attachment 26553990

http://www.kicker.com/app/manuals/subwoofers/compVR/2010_CompVR_f01.pdf

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Also to add, that ported box is a square box and I mocked it up in the same position this box is in and it pounded harder and hit the low notes better.

This is a side view of a horizontal port

Port opening is 10" x 1.5"

For length, I'm not exactly sure where you measure when you are making a 180 degree turn in the box? The id of the box is 14.5" so not sure of that means this port is too long? Would that mean the port is 29" long? Should I shorten the top panel a little? And would this port design work good? The side of the port will be closed up to the top of the 4.5" measurement. So from the enclosure, the top area of the port will have an opening of 14.5" x 2"

Now if I do go with a ported box, do I still keep the poly fill?

Another idea, instead of having the long "2 pass" port design, could I do 2 short ports, one on either side? Or if I still do 2 passes, I can make the port opening narrower, like 5" x 1.5" ?

Not sure what to do here.

I could also do a side firing port but there is only about 4 or 5" of space on either side if the box.

View attachment 26553994

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.