Door treatment, round 2

Participant count
  • Participant list

Water Bear

Senior VIP Member
OK. After that last phail I have been busy.

Cover for door panel

It's just held in with 2 screws to give an idea of how it fits. The opening below it comes with a plastic cover from the factory. That plastic cover and the oddly shaped hole where the crossover is mounted will get treated with MLV when I finally get off my arse and order it.

The panel cover is made out of MDF. I'm not too worried about moisture, so it's going to get 2 coats of a rubberized finish intended for exterior use (patio furnature, etc). When it's dry you can poke it with a screw driver and it won't chip. Currently it's got 1 coat, which is maybe 80% dry. Just wanted to mock it up so I could take a picture. The cover will be sealed against the door with Butyl rope.

I think we're on track to get it right this time; Comments and suggestions welcome.

I finished treating the driver's side door ("left" in the video). I tried to take a video demonstrating the difference. As we all know, phones are really bad at recording low notes so you can't really hear the volume difference. What you can hear is the kind of buzzing sound that the passenger side woofer emits instead of making bass. When you're sitting in the car you can definitely hear a fuller, louder response from the driver's side. There's still some work to be done to that door (coming later) but the treated MDF baffle is more or less finished.

Video

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.