Door treatment on the cheap

Participant count
  • Participant list

seedlings

Senior VIP Member
After weeks of hours weighing options and performance against price, I ordered some soundqubed 6.5" for the front doors. They just edged out the Silver Flutes. Now, about those doors...

No treatment yet. I have some Masonite to cover the large openings - I suppose that will be OK for a start? I think the larger problem may be with the "door card" plastic cover. There is a large void all around the speaker pod, so the speaker is an inch from the grille , with several inches of empty space all around the pod. What's a good way to fill that void, or will a ring/layers of closed cell foam (between the speaker and the factory perforated door card grille) be enough? At work we use this green clay to fill conduit voids, and it lasts years and years, but might not hold shape over the top of the speaker in the heat. The clay does not stick to the plastic at all, but might stick to itself in a fat donut shaped ring.

The rest of the door card has lots of voids unrelated to speaker position. Fill them with... minimal expanding foam, or closed cell foam, or weatherstripping, carpet underlayment, or...?

I'm not getting any sound deadening material at the moment. In the future, yes, as budget allows.

Thanks for your input,

CHAD

I've watched

and a dozen more. Read that sound deadner site (only $800 for a vehicle like mine).
So, since I can't start by purchasing all the materials up front, I'm going one or two steps at a time.

Sealing off large door openings

Filling voids in the door card

I have a box of 2'x4' sheets of Owens Corning 705. I have bass traps in almost every corner of my studio, so I do follow recommended practices - just can't go all at once here with the Montero.

Appreciate all advice. I'm not heading to the roofing aisle or anything //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

CHAD

Don't worry about going all out on the car. Just do your doors. That's where the real sq difference is in my opinion. The rest is kinds...just whatever. Makes a quieter drive but who cares when your musics playing anyway.

Says "DOOR" right on the label. $4.

20150801_191403_zpsjrtymskc.jpg

Made a ring out of scraps from the recycle bin and painter's tape. Didn't want all that goo poking through the grille.

20150801_184435_zpskdivnis8.jpg

20150801_184442_zpsa9tqudcx.jpg

Foamed. I didn't spray way back in the cavity otherwise it would come out between the main door trim piece and the loosely attached (with plastic welds) front grille.

20150801_184922_zps2fu9vort.jpg

Added a few spots of foam here and there for vibrations. Say howdy to Jessie.

20150801_184952_zps5iiwvzyw.jpg

Also hit the door pods. These seem oversized compared to the last 6.5s

20150801_200229_zpssaq7zxm8.jpg

CHAD

you'll need the rear of the cone to play into the door. from the pic above, it looks like it's almost sealed to the magnet and that will choke the woofer.
I wondered about that. Whenever I get the replacement speakers back from SoundQubed ( >>This Thread ) I will do some more cutting.

BTW, that great stuff doesn't stick to the plastic. When I removed the panels to send the speakers back, several dollups fell right off.

CHAD

Just stumbled on a page where people have filled in rear hatch doors and quarter panel voids with expanding foam. Final product looked pretty good, reading about how they did it seemed kinda time consuming. Wasn't easy from what they said to get it looking nice.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.