door speaker enclosure

gamemannn
10+ year member

i just got some new component door speakers in today. i have a 90 300zx that had a factory bose system. the bose door speakers had an enclosure with an amp in it; the enclosure is also ported. if i take out the amp and properly mount my new woofers in the speaker hole, will this eclosure be beneficial sound-wise? or are after market speaker made for infinite baffle only? i started deadening one of my doors. if the speaker is in an enclosure does the cut back on need for deadoning the door. to improve speaker output? the speakers are mb quart 215.03 cx components by the way.

They are optimized for infinite baffle, and I suspect that they are tuned too high in this box, and that the port is too small to accomodate the amount of travel the MBQ has, which will cause the port to compress the air going through it at high volumes, and compressing the volume output at higher settings.

Sorry about that, chief.

what if i modify the enclosure to just protect water from leakin on top of the speaker. like cut out the area directly behind or below the magnet, but keep the top on? will the open the enclosure enough to let it utilize the door as "free-air"?

I belive the inclosure is two pieces. You should be able to use the exsisting hole in the door. I did the same thing in my M30. Same engine and a lot of the same parts as your car.

they are designed for IB iirc.

Also, plugging the port and cutting off the back of the enclosure will make a nice shroud. I've done very similar with my CDT's currently.

-Nick

they are designed for IB iirc.

Also, plugging the port and cutting off the back of the enclosure will make a nice shroud. I've done very similar with my CDT's currently.

-Nick

xx2

i was gonna say that. a little bit of plastic and some hot-glue will plug it up nicely.

i boarded up the little port today and cut the back off the enclosure. sounds great now. opening the back up got rid of the boomy, bad soundin bass the speaker had. i wonder if i get a bigger box for my sub or put some poly fill in it will it make my sub sound smoother? not that it's bad now.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.