door panel help

Does anyone know anything about panel repair? I got a door panel in the mail and the guy sent it in a trashbag... the particle board wooden frame of it is bent. Ive watched videos on how to repair cracks in vinyl, but is there a way to straighten out the wood and then apply something that makes it stiff again?

If that makes sense

Does anyone know anything about panel repair? I got a door panel in the mail and the guy sent it in a trashbag... the particle board wooden frame of it is bent. Ive watched videos on how to repair cracks in vinyl, but is there a way to straighten out the wood and then apply something that makes it stiff again?
If that makes sense
Poast dump?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

I just cut a hole in my panel (originally 6x4) and set my ADS 6.5's in there (and built mounts, of course). I had to cut a little sheet metal out but that was easy. Not many choices wrt mounting because driver can get in the way of the window (when it's down). I have Sunfire '98 which looks similar to yours.

I just cut a hole in my panel (originally 6x4) and set my ADS 6.5's in there (and built mounts, of course). I had to cut a little sheet metal out but that was easy. Not many choices wrt mounting because driver can get in the way of the window (when it's down). I have Sunfire '98 which looks similar to yours.
But I want to have them fiberglassed into the panel

also plan on removing metal to allow for adequate airflow into the door panel. the woofers need plenty of airspace - more than what the pods will provide. i agree your best bet is another wooden piece to outline the point where the mounting pod attaches to the door. a few dowel rods glued in place will allow you to position the mounting baffle as desired. that way you have a piece you can glass from a workbench and not on the panel - then cut out the panel, secure the pod to the panel (leave enough door panel material to allow you to screw them together. then seal, smooth, sand, and finish. are you going to paint or cover the entire panel?

with the additional weight of the new pods, you'll want to ensure the panel stays put and doesn't vibrate - additional screws or attachment points may be prudent.

also plan on removing metal to allow for adequate airflow into the door panel. the woofers need plenty of airspace - more than what the pods will provide. i agree your best bet is another wooden piece to outline the point where the mounting pod attaches to the door. a few dowel rods glued in place will allow you to position the mounting baffle as desired. that way you have a piece you can glass from a workbench and not on the panel - then cut out the panel, secure the pod to the panel (leave enough door panel material to allow you to screw them together. then seal, smooth, sand, and finish. are you going to paint or cover the entire panel?
with the additional weight of the new pods, you'll want to ensure the panel stays put and doesn't vibrate - additional screws or attachment points may be prudent.
as far as covering, Im not sure yet. and on the door panel should I remove the arm rest and tuck the fabric behind there? Im just kind of hesitant to do that because they're riveted in there with plastic rivets. Do you think it would be find if I drilled them out, but then screwed then back in in the rivet holes, maybe with the addition of some locktite?

you either have a pod that looks like a pod just mounted to a door, or you recover the whole door (or bottom half) for a seamless look.
Im thinking about fiberglassing the bottom half, and making a seamless transition into the door

as far as covering, Im not sure yet. and on the door panel should I remove the arm rest and tuck the fabric behind there? Im just kind of hesitant to do that because they're riveted in there with plastic rivets. Do you think it would be find if I drilled them out, but then screwed then back in in the rivet holes, maybe with the addition of some locktite?
you can probably just tuck the fabric into the seam with a metal putty knife. I'd be leary of cutting off the rivets unless you're 100% you can screw it back on strong since you pull on the door handle to close the door.

you can probably just tuck the fabric into the seam with a metal putty knife. I'd be leary of cutting off the rivets unless you're 100% you can screw it back on strong since you pull on the door handle to close the door.
thats a good point, up until now I actually hadnt thought about what the door handle is actually there for!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.