Does Size Really Matter ... Pics

Slo_Ride
5,000+ posts

Regulator
ATLANTA
Maybe it's just me but does my 1/0 wire look small. From the pics posted on the forum it looks to be smaller than usual. Also this wire has less strands than most posted. I'm wanting to use this for my big 3 and power and ground wires for my amp.

that will be fine, you have a lot less strands because yours or thick as hell, where did you get that wire? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif

Power wire from a cnc router at work. I've got about 50' and it was free that's why I want to use it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif :D

there is less wire content in that, and its hard as HELL to bend, but youll never have problems crimping, and with an extra strand sticking out........only because its about 1/10 of an inch thick

lol

So…house wiring is okay to use. I thought it was all about strand count. I can get 3/0 fot about nothing in house wiring whereas normally I would pay several $ per foot. Is flexibility the only advantage to high strand count?

So…house wiring is okay to use. I thought it was all about strand count. I can get 3/0 fot about nothing in house wiring whereas normally I would pay several $ per foot. Is flexibility the only advantage to high strand count?

thats what im wonering too since i used 3/0 awg from home depot for my big 3.....isnt 3/0 technically thicker than 1/0? besides less strands id imagine if it was still thicker then morepower could pass in that given distance right?

You also need to consider the thermal and breakdown properties of the jacketing on the wire due to being mounted in the engine bay. Thick strand wire can indeed be used, it is just a PITA to run. Provided that the wire takes heat and oils etc. as are found in the engine bay, I see no issues using it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.