Does my electical system NEED upgrading?

Participant count
  • Participant list

MellowHype
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Running 2 alpine type R's on a kicker ex1000.1. 1000 watts @ 1 ohm

Also a set of alpine type R components at 100 watts @ 4 ohm

I just checked my voltages, when the car is running with no lights/heaters/soundsystem i got a reading of 14.09v

When i bumped my sound system up to max volume playing one of the loudest songs i got a lowest reading of 13.20v.

Is this a bad drop? maybe something a big 3 could fix?

Thanks for any help

Big 3 is always recommended. But 13.2 at full tilt on a stock electrical isn't bad. Was that at idle?
Yeah that was at idle, forgot to mention that again was no lights/heaters or anything just the system

Ill look into some 1/0 gauge the shits just so expensive over here (UK) and terminals are a lot too

You are good like that. Just try to make sure you have good connections, grounds, re check your gains and if possible do the big 3.
i measured ground resistance when off and got .02 ohm so im guessing thats decent?

Yeah im going to look into some 0 awg but its going to have to be CCA not OFC as i just cant afford OFC atm. Ill try go with Knu KCA

i measured ground resistance when off and got .02 ohm so im guessing thats decent?Yeah im going to look into some 0 awg but its going to have to be CCA not OFC as i just cant afford OFC atm. Ill try go with Knu KCA
knu is a very good wire, that's what I use. you will be good with cca, but if you have future plans in upgrading your system, it's better to save a little more $ and go with the ofc from the beginning and at the end you will save $ .

knu is a very good wire, that's what I use. you will be good with cca, but if you have future plans in upgrading your system, it's better to save a little more $ and go with the ofc from the beginning and at the end you will save $ .
Will go with CCA then, the only upgrade ill be seeing is a new 2000 rms amp but thats gonna be a while

Thanks

Yeah that was at idle, forgot to mention that again was no lights/heaters or anything just the system
Ill look into some 1/0 gauge the shits just so expensive over here (UK) and terminals are a lot too
from what i've seen, its like $1 per foot if you order it off of amazon. and since its for the big three, you don't need a whole lot

50 feet just for a big three upgrade??
thats not including terminals, i think they go for about 16 dollars a pair roughly

dem UK electronics prices

Looking at US prices is depressing lol i could have bought 2 sundown sa -12's for near enough the price i paid for 1 type R

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.