does big 3 require a high output alternator?

mrpep

CarAudio.com Elite
chicago
I'm having issues and have not yet tested the power output to my amp but am preparing for what may have to be done such as the big 3. My issues are severe headlight dimming and an amp shutting down possible to not enough power so goes into safety mode. I am wondering if the big 3 requires a new high output alternator or if it can it be done with the same factory alternator? Probably a dumb question but I am learning here .

Extra grounds and powers are vital to stabilizing your electrical, every bit you add will benefit you. Now depending on your setup power wise will determine if your going to stop having drastic headlight dimming , if your drawing more power than your stock alternator can supply, and have no rear batteries, you'll have a difficult time battling the issue until you beef up your electrical to suit your systems needs.

The big 3 will be my first step and then HO alt if improvement is not there. I will measure voltage before and after using same song and volume level. It will be a bit but will post results.

I just tested my battery output and its 11.6 volts at idle, I would think I would get at least the 12 I'm supposed to get,

Last edited by a moderator:
The big 3 will be my first step and then HO alt if improvement is not there. I will measure voltage before and after using same song and volume level. It will be a bit but will post results.I just tested my battery output and its 11.6 volts at idle, I would think I would get at least the 12 I'm supposed to get,
You got problems. Back the gain down until it sits over 13v minimum playing music at listening volume. You are going to fry stuff

You got problems. Back the gain down until it sits over 13v minimum playing music at listening volume. You are going to fry stuff
But Im getting the 11.6 at the battery , that is what alternator is putting out at idle.

You're getting that with everything off? If so you have already damaged something
Spot on. something not right, you should have a minimum of 13.8V at idle. maybe i missed it, but what do you drive? It may have an ELD l( electronic load detector) like my crv has.

I thought my alt was on its way out as i seen it randomly dropping to 12.6V while driving ( via torque) turns out the eld stops charging at 85% battery capacity

Its a Chevy express 1500 2001 conversion van and I turned it on with HU on low and everything else off and Checked the voltage on the battery. The reading was 11.6 volts.

Back the gain down until it sits over 13v minimum playing music at listening volume. You are going to fry stuff
I understand that you don't want voltage to drop below that, and OP should probably reduce his gains, but I've run my truck for 3 years with voltage dipping into the low 11s when the bass hits. Any articles I could reference that would explain why this would go as far as frying electronics? I'm curious now.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.