Does anyone make a "powered" eq any more?

Participant count
  • Participant list

husker77
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Nebraska
My boy's truck has a alpine cde-121 hu, and it doesn't have much for adjustments/tuning options. He just has his front speakers and a sub, the amp has a built in crossover so that is easy to take care of, but I can't seem to get the bass out of the front speakers. I was thinking of adding a 1/2 din style eq to the system for the front speakers.

I remember back in my days you could get 1 that was an amplifier/eq, they put out like 50watts or something. I thought amplifying the front speakers would be nice but don't need much power so thought that would be the ticket.

Does anyone make one that is powered anymore? All I found are ones made by pyramid.

You're way better off finding some older small 2 ch amp on craigslist.

If you just want to filter the bass to the speakers, why not use a passive crossover? I.e a capacitor in series with the speaker to act as a High Pass Filter? Not as good as doing it before the signal is amplified, but it's the cheapest way to go.

Still better to get a small amplifier though.

that's way late 80's technology...
I know, doesn't mean it's bad. I had one in the early 90's ; )

why would you want to do that?
The front speakers could use some more power but don't think an amp is necessary.

Do you have two amps or just one and using the head unit for the front speakers?
Just one amp running the subs and using the hu for the front speakers.

If I amped the front speakers I would probably have to get a separate preamp crossover. And like I said I don't need a lot more power, the hu puts out 18 watts per channel so if I could find an eq that is say 40 watts per I would be doubling the power, plus adding tunability(not really a word).

It was a thought more than anything.

A small 4 channel would be the best way to go. Unless you have an Alpine head unit, then you can get the "black box" for them.
Oh that's right I remember the sales man showing me that. It still doesn't help my tuning problem, there just isn't any adjustments on the hu. I only need to power 2 speakers.

If you need tuning then an EQ and amp setup or an amp with a decent on board EQ would be best.

If you try and track down a powered eq you will end up with something older and/or cheaper that will more then likely not perform very well.

If you try and track down a powered eq you will end up with something older and/or cheaper that will more then likely not perform very well.
That's the answer to the original question. So no reputable/quality company makes one.

That's the answer to the original question. So no reputable/quality company makes one.
Not to me knowledge. Those were abandon a while back.

You could look around for a motorcycle setup perhaps if you can find a 12v version, but you would more then likely be unhappy with that solution.

so what if they haven't been made for a while, that doesn't mean you can't pick up an early 90's amplified Alpine 1/2 DIN EQ and have a better amp than what's in the modern head unit. back then they used transistors. now they use an IC.

it may even have subwoofer level controls. i made a list of them for another member in another thread... hmmm. it was a good list.

it is your cheapest option and gives you the tuning you desire. some of those were 9-band EQ's. i enjoy breathing new life into retired car audio.

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/general-discussion/534283-i-just-want-aux-no-headunit-no-external-amp-no-screens-no-bs.html

found it. thanks google.

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

List of vintage Alpine EQ's

Alpine EQ/Booster Parts and Accessories Library from PacParts

One i've used

Alpine ERE-G160 - has a 2 channel amp

P1240057.jpg

I still have an older Jensen booster EQ sitting in my basement. Other companies made them, I just preferred Alpine products back then.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.