Do you need to charge batteries?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Xprime4
10+ year member

****in' canadian
I bough mine new and it got a 12.8 resting. I installed it in my system last week with a stinger 200amp selenoid. I'm using it with car off to listen to some music while chilling you know //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

The other day, i realize my selenoid wasn't hooked tightly at the ignition and the two batts weren't linked together. I found it 2 days latter at 11.3 v. Since i solve my selenoid problem and the battery seems to be back at 12.7-.8

Will i ever need a charger? if my alt got time to charge it when not bumping too hard will the batt stays in good condition for the years to come? In the end, what's the use of a agm charger once the battery has been instaled?

That's the only think i still don't understand with battery. Scuse my noobiness //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

but what if it goes under? only a battery charger will be able to get it back higher and not the alt?
no, the alt will charge it. if i read this right, you have a solenoid isolator. while you run the stereo w/ the car off it runs on the back battery. and after that it's at 11.**v

if that is the case, the alt will charge it back up. but just know that the life of that battery will suffer from the discharge and recharging cycle. not sure by how much it will hurt though. is it a deep cycle?

your alt can charge your battery, its just that it charges it too fast. if it goes under 12.5V it is recommended to charge with a charger, but you can charge it with the alt.

A charger would NEVER hurt especially an inteligent auto charger for agm batteries. Schumaker, Black and Decker and Kinetik all have a charger that can be had for between $45-$120. just hook it up and choose the correct settings and hit a button the charger takes care of the rest.They will also help maintain a battery if the battery is not going to be used for an extended period of time.

http://store.schumachermart.com/sc-1000a.html - can be found at your local Walmart for less

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_13271_Kinetik+KIBC12-35.html -has higher charging current and an alt checker.

http://www.tylertool.com/blackanddecker68.html less features lower charge current.

ok.. the difference between a charger and alt is the the charging rate and that's it. It's simple then

yeah batt is agm deep cycle. so i shouldn't worry about this single accident then?

car off, only the rear batt work (except the hu which is hook on front... )

with aging, the batt resting rate fully charge will get lower, is that right?

how many year can i expect from a agm deep cycle g31 no name batt? 4-5 year?

I think i'll put a voltmeter on my rear batt too. i like to monitor everything, specially voltage

A charger would NEVER hurt especially an inteligent auto charger for agm batteries. Schumaker, Black and Decker and Kinetik all have a charger that can be had for between $45-$120. just hook it up and choose the correct settings and hit a button the charger takes care of the rest.They will also help maintain a battery if the battery is not going to be used for an extended period of time.
http://store.schumachermart.com/sc-1000a.html - can be found at your local Walmart for less

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_13271_Kinetik+KIBC12-35.html -has higher charging current and an alt checker.

http://www.tylertool.com/blackanddecker68.html less features lower charge current.
I'll look at walmart for sure thank you

The difference that you could expect from using a good AGM charger vs the alt is that you should expect a longer lifespan of the battery with a charger. This is usually very inconvenient to do, so most people would just use the alt for charging. There are certain things that an alt cannot do that a good AGM charger will do. The maintenance cycle of most good AGM chargers will keep the battery from becoming sulfated and stratified. These are some of the lesser contributing factors that will lead to battery failure. The more pressing issue is simply keeping the battery above 10.5V at all times and recharging the battery as soon as possible after use.

batt's resting voltage shouldn't lower over time I don't think. Either its good or its bad or it has as dead cell (but will read normal even with the dead cell).
ok then. I guess you need to treat an agm badly to kill it. I shouldn't be worried then. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

The difference that you could expect from using a good AGM charger vs the alt is that you should expect a longer lifespan of the battery with a charger. This is usually very inconvenient to do, so most people would just use the alt for charging. There are certain things that an alt cannot do that a good AGM charger will do. The maintenance cycle of most good AGM chargers will keep the battery from becoming sulfated and stratified. These are some of the lesser contributing factors that will lead to battery failure. The more pressing issue is simply keeping the battery above 10.5V at all times and recharging the battery as soon as possible after use.
Got it Loop //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Well it was at 11.3 after a 10min of full tilt (i didn't know it wasn't hooked up right) and 1 hour of confortable listening. My front batt would have died from 2min of full tilt alone //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

I abused my yellowtop, but it ended up only lasting 3 years as a result //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
what you mean by abuse? getting it lower than 10.5? 3 years ain't that bad imo.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.