Do these component speakers ****?

Participant count
  • Participant list

js1
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
LA CA
I want to upgrade the door speaker's in my 99 Expedition. I'm thinking of running either some Polk Audio db6500 6-1/2" Component Speakers or some

Infinity Reference 6800cs Reference Series 5"x7"/6"x8" Component Speakers because they are fitted for the speaker opening in my truck. I dont know if I need to get a matching set for the rear doors or if I can just grab some decent 2 ways and save money. Both sets will cost around $300 a for 2 pairs or the Infinities will be about $50 less if I go components up front and 2 ways in rear doors.

Are there better speakers in this price range that will readily fit in the doors? My truck is really lacking in the mid bass range. Also will a 250 watt MTX amp be enuff power for 1 or 2 sets of door speakers?

js1

The speakers look decent for $150 but the store has a poor reseller rating and seems to not ship items on time or deal with returns fairly. Is there any place else I can order a set of these for the same price and will my 250 watt MTX amp be enuff. There are no specs on website...

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller3503.html

[edit] Can you recommend some rears? Will I need components back there or can I use some cheaper 2 ways?

Thanks,

Jon

The speakers look decent for $150 but the store has a poor reseller rating and seems to not ship items on time or deal with returns fairly. Is there any place else I can order a set of these for the same price and will my 250 watt MTX amp be enuff. There are no specs on website...http://www.resellerratings.com/seller3503.html

[edit] Can you recommend some rears? Will I need components back there or can I use some cheaper 2 ways?

Thanks,

Jon
I think about 50 over people on this forum alone has bought the CDT's from thezeb.com

No, you can't get those at those prices anywhere. Period. At those prices, i don't see how anyone can complain with a little slow delivery. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

What you can do is to email or call to confirm that they have it in stock and ready to ship next business day.

almost forgot about the rears.

No, I do not recommend you put anything at the rear. Soundstage involves all sound coming from the front, not the back. However, there are listeners who prefer to be in the center of the field. If you want some rears, I would still suggest you get another pair of the CDT's, as you really can't go wrong, but if you're asking about 6X9's, i don't have a clue.

As for your MTX amp, could you write what kind of power it has?

eg.

50wX4@4ohms

100X4 @2ohms

something like that.

almost forgot about the rears.
No, I do not recommend you put anything at the rear. Soundstage involves all sound coming from the front, not the back. However, there are listeners who prefer to be in the center of the field. If you want some rears, I would still suggest you get another pair of the CDT's, as you really can't go wrong, but if you're asking about 6X9's, i don't have a clue.

As for your MTX amp, could you write what kind of power it has?

eg.

50wX4@4ohms

100X4 @2ohms

something like that.
Wow. Somebody finally talks about staging and imaging. Listen to his advice. if you buy a really good set of fronts and nice subs to cover your lows, you'll barely feel like you need rear speakers. I'm looking at a pair of 3.5" Infinities for my car. All my friends are obsesseg with bass, but I'll blow them away when I can have bass and GOOD SOUNDING music to go with it. I want them to say "I can hear the lyrics!"

Thanks for all the information.

I think Im going with those CDLs if zeb.com ever responds to my email and some CDL 2 ways for the rear doors. I currently have 3 amps

MTX 4202

2 Ohm Load 100 w x 2 Low Level

4 Ohm Load 50 w x 2 Hi Level w/ Smart Engage

Bridged 4 Ohm Load 200 w Crossover(s)

MTX 8303

2 Ohm Load 150 w x 2

4 Ohm Load 75 w x 2

Bridged 4 Ohm Load 300 watts 600 peak Power

14.4 VDC

2 Ohm Load 212 w x 2

4 Ohm Load 120 w x 2

Bridged 4 Ohm Load 425 watts 850 peak

POS 800 watt that im using for 3 10's but will swap out.

Will the small MTX be enuff for the front doors or should I use a bigger amp? I want to swap out my current box with 3 MTX 10's and put in a better pair of 2 ohm 10's and class D' Amp. Any suggestions for my "budget system?"

Thanks,

Jon

comp sets do not need a whole lot of power to get them going. Heck, my amp is rated at 30watts RMS, and it's pushing dynaudio comps that are rated at 150w RMS.. and they sound superb to me. of course, my amps are kinda under rated so...

I think your MTX will do just fine.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I have a pair of CDT CL-61a and a pair of CDL CL-6X 6" 2 ways in my cart.

http://www.thezeb.com/detail.aspx?ID=1087

The total so far is $200. Will the 6" 2 ways be enuff for the rears?

Any advice on mounting the 6.5" mids in my 5x7" opening?

I gotta go ask some questions about subs now. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wave.gif.002382ce7d7c19757ab945cc69819de1.gif

Thanks for all your help,

Jon

to mount the speakers to the 5x7 opening, you will need to make yourself a baffle. Cut a piece of wood that fits the 5x7 hole, then cut a hole on that piece that will allow the 6.5" driver to be placed into.

Perfect advice. I found some pics in one of the other threads and it looks easy to make.

Hopefully I can get it all sounding right before summer starts. I might need to run a cap or extra battery from what I've read..... The more I read the more expensive it gets. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Jon

Cdts are the fav in this forum.Not a bad choice,but i would stay away from the cap.If u hook up ur system and get a seriosu drain on ur electrical system then i would get an alternator before that other stuff.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.