Do I need to recone my sub?

Participant count
  • Participant list

46panel
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Michigan
I have my 3 18" Death Penalties and went to get them tested on the TL and noticed they weren't as loud as usual and looked bad and seen one not moving as much. Pulled one of the box which was one that was working fine and checked the coils, both are around 1.4 checked the one that wasn't moving as much and both coils the same 1.4ish, then went to the middle sub which "looked" to be fine and 1 coil 1.4ish and the other one was around 2ohm. They are supposed to be dual 1's and I had them wired in series.

I've heard when a coil is bad it will read either REALLY high or not just at all. I just picked up a 4th 18 and want to get started on my new build but don't know if that sub is bad or not? I was climbing inside my box when testing but still feel like I was holding testing each one the same so don't think it was me moving, but when the probes would be moving it was in the 1's but once it settled it would be around 2ohm //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Who knows. IA is hit or miss... Usually miss. Sound good, but who knows how long they last. Everyone I know who has them always ends up with their car stinking.

Yea I dunno? No weird noise, no smell, just the one coil reads 1.4 and the other 2 ohm. Guess I'm gonna be building a box for all 4 and see what happens and if it goes then I'll get a recone.

up. i have the same problem. in for answers
Talked to Nick at IA and I was told to take off the dustcap and look at the leads. He said it was actually like a quad coil so each side is parralled and gives the 1 ohm on each side like its supposed to be as long as both the leads don't look damaged and are connected it should be fine. So I took it off and on the side that was reading 1 ohm both the leads were fine, on the other side which was reading 2ohm one of the leads look to be damaged and not connected properly. He said it could probably be fixed by soldering it back on better but I just ordered a new recone so now all 4 will be similar, and I can start on my new build.

So basically take the dustcap off and see if you can see anything with the leads.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.