Do i need a new amp? One side of car speakers working HELPP

Participant count
  • Participant list
The 1201 is a mono amp designed for subwoofers. It's 1 channel amp. There is no stereo separation on that amp. Honestly it's the wrong way to do things. You'd be better off running your speakers off the head unit. Sorry I didn't catch that earlier.

Yea RCA from the front to the back. Idk what's going on lol
And yes I am running door speakers off the amp.
That amp is a subwoofer amp and isn't designed to be running speakers. Its possible that you blew those speakers trying to send them hundreds of watts off of that JBL.

Just to double check, you have two subs plus speakers wired into the amp?

It's getting hot because it is running the subs and door speakers that is making the amp run under its 2 ohm load.
Yea you need to keep that amp to 2 ohms and you need to get those door speakers off of that amp ASAP. Like gary said, for now you should run your door speakers off of the head unit.

Ok i just went to go check my car. The RCA cables are plugged into the head unit ran through my car to the back of the amp RCA INPUT. The RCA cable has a built in turn on lead as well, don't know if that matters. Those are the only wires that connect the amp with the head unit. BUT when he was adjusting the amp my right door speaker was changing with the subs. The wiring harness looks good wires are connected color coded.

You're going to have to talk to him and find out what he did. We are all scratching are heads and we can only speculate what he did. I'm not 100% sure. I thought the jbl's only had a 20 to 350 hz (ish) range. But they may be full range with a low pass. Wish I could help more. Find out from him how he ran everything

UPDATE: I went and unplugged the RCA from my head unit and the left side still didn't work. So does that mean my speakers blew out?
Use a 3.5mm to rca cord and plug an iPod directly into the amp and see what you get. Also, you can swap the speakers on the amp to help isolate the problem.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.