Do i need a new amp? One side of car speakers working HELPP

Participant count
  • Participant list
I have two JBL gt5-10d's hooked onto a JBL Grand Touring Series GTO1201.1 II. Only one side of my car speakers work(passengers) the subs both work. I checked my head unit balance settings and I made sure the wiring harness was connected correctly and it was. Before this amp it worked. But when it got installed the driver side speakers stopped working. The amp gets to hot, to touch after about 20 min or 15 min of booming. Do I need a new amp? If so I was looking at a soundstream p1.600d because i do not want to spend over $100 and I don't want competition style system, just something to bang.

If your amp is working and heating up the settings or wiring is suspect. If your running your speakers off the head unit then they are unrelated. Unless you are using a factory head unit with a line output converter. More info please. Gto is much better than the soundstream

Sorry about that, I have a JVC KD-R330 head unit. Before this amp I tried out a crappy Pyramid and my speakers worked but subs didnt so I received that JBL from my friend and after he hooked it up (he is a audio technician) The subs were great, slammin but no driver side speakers...Wiring harness is matched color coded and everything... (Speakers are connected to amp through RCAs)

It sounds like the head unit or wiring to the speakers. Something could have been disturbed during the installation. Did they work at all after the installation? If not something definately got bumped or accidentally unhooked

......Lol actually I haven't. But it's colored coded red and white so I didn't think it would matter.
Switching the red and white RCA's could determine if there is a problem with the RCA's or head unit rather than the amp. If you swap rcas and then your passenger side speaker stops working and the drivers side starts working then the problem isn't in the amp.

The amp. when he was adjusting the amp setting my speakers were changing too.

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 PM ----------

Head unit was already in. I have a 2001 Firebird.

The amp. when he was adjusting the amp setting my speakers were changing too. 

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 PM ----------

Head unit was already in. I have a 2001 Firebird.
You're running your door speakers off of the GTO1201.1 II?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.