Do I need a new alt for 3K

Participant count
  • Participant list

Based

CarAudio.com Elite
Louisiana
I just got my 4 OA 15s setup going yesterday and right now I'm running them on one Hifonics BRX1100. I'm thinking I'm giving them from 800 - 1000 watts right now.

Now I'm working towards giving them proper power. They already flex everything on my extended cab truck but I need more........ //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif :D //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

So I was talking to a friend and he is saying that I can just get a few batteries (about 400AH worth of batteries) and that'll get me right, but I'm looking for a second opinion. Do I need a bigger alternator and more batteries or can I get by with just batteries?

I just went and replaced my 59-DL under the hood with a 65-AGM, giving me 75AH of battery right now. So my current plan is to get 3 100 - 110AH batteries, while keeping my current alternator which is somewhere between 70 - 90A.

I ran/run my 3500 with just the 270 and a hello top under the hood and I would go down to 12.2-12.5 again for some people well most of them will not want to go under mid 13's again 12 is perfectly fine if you know what you're doing. I would save on buying batteries and get a HO alt and just one or 2 batteries and you'll be ok.

I ran/run my 3500 with just the 270 and a hello top under the hood and I would go down to 12.2-12.5 again for some people well most of them will not want to go under mid 13's again 12 is perfectly fine if you know what you're doing. I would save on buying batteries and get a HO alt and just one or 2 batteries and you'll be ok.
Sounds like you where clipping it. That will pull excessive current. I don't drop out if the 14s.

Hmm ok I will think about getting at least like a 220a or something.

A question though. How do I ****** tell if my amp is clipping by ear? I'll be banging and on mostly the higher frequency bass notes I hear a very distortion sounding noise but I can't tell if it's the rattling or my actual subs...

Sounds like you where clipping it. That will pull excessive current. I don't drop out if the 14s.
Dont get me wrong I'm no expert and everyone "knows" their system, I may have clipped but then again that amp is rated to pull almost 100 amps more than what my alt is rated for, again if you know what you're doing he will be fine

i ran a bc3500 with a 1 5yr old stock lead acid battery under hood and 2 105ah dekas in the back with a 220a alt. mine at 14.4-.6 depending on temperature outside. playing full tilt at idle i was only dropping down to 13.6v-.8 and at 2k rpms i would stay pretty much above 14v. It sounds like there was a issue somewhere because you alt was a bit stronger then mine was.

I just got my 4 OA 15s setup going yesterday and right now I'm running them on one Hifonics BRX1100. I'm thinking I'm giving them from 800 - 1000 watts right now.
Now I'm working towards giving them proper power. They already flex everything on my extended cab truck but I need more........ //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif :D //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

So I was talking to a friend and he is saying that I can just get a few batteries (about 400AH worth of batteries) and that'll get me right, but I'm looking for a second opinion. Do I need a bigger alternator and more batteries or can I get by with just batteries?

I just went and replaced my 59-DL under the hood with a 65-AGM, giving me 75AH of battery right now. So my current plan is to get 3 100 - 110AH batteries, while keeping my current alternator which is somewhere between 70 - 90A.
i would get the batts if you can for a good price and try it. Make sure you have the big 3 done and test voltage while your playing and see what it looks like. if your able to maintain 12.5v then i say you would be fine. no 12.5 is not high voltage but 95% of amps while operate with out issues at that voltage

i ran a bc3500 with a 1 5yr old stock lead acid battery under hood and 2 105ah dekas in the back with a 220a alt. mine at 14.4-.6 depending on temperature outside. playing full tilt at idle i was only dropping down to 13.6v-.8 and at 2k rpms i would stay pretty much above 14v. It sounds like there was a issue somewhere because you alt was a bit stronger then mine was.
This was with one optima...

I got away with 3k rms with no alt upgrade but I did have the BIG 3 done, and a powermaster d3100 in the rear and power master d1600 under the hood.

I would get the alt, and a good battery under the hood and you'll be fine no need for rear battery's unless you are planning on running more power in the future

I got away with 3k rms with no alt upgrade but I did have the BIG 3 done, and a powermaster d3100 in the rear and power master d1600 under the hood.
I would get the alt, and a good battery under the hood and you'll be fine no need for rear battery's unless you are planning on running more power in the future
i got away running a big bang 2400 on stock alt with 1 stock lead acid battery and 2 regular lead acid batterys in the hatch(i know not good lol). but my voltage held up to about 12.5-.6. this was before i had the Bc3500 and stuff

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.