Do i have to disconnect battery?

yes always disconnect the battery before installing any aftermarket electronic devices.

x2

Always disconnect the battery before working on anything electrical in your vehicle. Not doing so leaves you very suspectable to shorting out wires while you are working on the equipment.

News flash: You slip, one time, a 1/2", while holding your deck in one hand, reaching into the dash with the other, clinching a pair of 5" cutters in your teeth.... You will learn to disconnect the negative cable first.

Nick

shock yourself on 12V? you might get a tiny tiny tingle but thats it, not much different than touching a 9V battery.

Just pull your radio fuse, and be careful with the wires.

i wouldnt worry about disconnecting the battery. i've installed many h/us, and never disconnected the battery. A 120 volt shock isnt even that bad (of course it *****, and you should keep yourself from doing it), let alone a 12 volt shock. if you disconnect the battery, then its a b!tch resetting all your clocks n stuff. also, if you plan on doing an install, and keep your stock radio, it will go on lock, and thats a pain in the ass.

all you gotta do is wire the harness to your new headunit, then unplug the harness from your stock radio, and plug into the new harness and you are done.

Ahhh, you guys are using the cute little harnesses & adaptors... thats sweet.

shock yourself on 12V? you might get a tiny tiny tingle but thats it, not much different than touching a 9V battery.
It's not the voltage, it's the amperage...you short yourself out on a "tiny tiny" 12V system, your car battery is going to try to discharge several hundred amps to ground - with you in the way. See if that feels different than touching a 9V battery //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

It's not the voltage, it's the amperage...you short yourself out on a "tiny tiny" 12V system, your car battery is going to try to discharge several hundred amps to ground - with you in the way. See if that feels different than touching a 9V battery //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
I doubt he'll understand that Jack. Good effort though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

1200mk

10+ year member
1200mk
Los Angeles, CA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from