Do cables go bad?

Participant count
  • Participant list

4BangerStanger

CarAudio.com Regular
DFW
I'm about to embark on building my frist system since basically the turn of the century. I have a huge storage bin full of cables (Power wire, speaker wire, and RCA cables - including some RF RCAs that I spent a small fortune on.  I think I even have some distribution blocks in there). Some are used, some are not. It seems like as long as they're in good shape and not damaged or corroded then they should be usable. But, I don't know if they'd degrade over time. I'd appreciate any insight y'all can provide. If I do need to replace them all, what are some good brands that won't break the proverbial bank?  I've been out of the game so long, I don't know what's what anymore. 

Just wire -- not likely.  I have some pieces of power wire my brother took out of his car in the mid 90's that's in good shape.

Some insulation will stiffen as it ages.

Signal cables can wear out from a lot of use, not usually from storage.

Just wire -- not likely.  I have some pieces of power wire my brother took out of his car in the mid 90's that's in good shape.

Some insulation will stiffen as it ages.

Signal cables can wear out from a lot of use, not usually from storage.
Good to know. I need to dig through and see what I have. I'll inspect and test everything before I even consider using it. 

I'm using wires that are about 20 years old, with half that time spent in an outdoor storage unit in Maine (so a fair bit of humidity and large temperature swings). If the ends look free of corrosion, go for it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.