Do amplifiers affect Sound Quality?

^x2^

In some instances, it would make a difference. Between these amps, there would be no difference in sound quality.

Some amplifiers do have different response curves.

Yea, that JL is way overpriced. You are paying for the name. JL subs are highly respected for SQ, which is why people will pay for their amps.

I will say one thing though, I saw a graph of the 1000's frequency response. It was extremely flat, but still not worth the extra money. With proper tuning, you can achieve the same thing with cheaper equipment.

thanks for the heads up fellas. Im looking for a little more that's all. Im thinking of adding another 10'' to get it but I think it will just get louder , im missing the bass that 12'' puts out. I dont know how much more of this 10'' I can take before I go out get some 15''s! OR 12''S AT LEAST!!

thanks for the heads up fellas. Im looking for a little more that's all. Im thinking of adding another 10'' to get it but I think it will just get louder , im missing the bass that 12'' puts out. I dont know how much more of this 10'' I can take before I go out get some 15''s! OR 12''S AT LEAST!!
I was wondering how loud your setup was. I know JL sounds good, but is lacking in SPL

Its loud and clean but lacks depth , lows. For a 10'' it does a real nice job but I need a little more. its picky too, it wont play deep bass unless the song is perfectly clean. what is spl?

Its loud and clean but lacks depth , lows. For a 10'' it does a real nice job but I need a little more. its picky too, it wont play deep bass unless the song is perfectly clean. what is spl?
SPL = Sound Pressure Level

Basically how much air you move, how loud you are in decibels.

You can make a custom box to bring out the lows more on your JL sub. If you're looking to be louder, look at other brands like SSA, DD, Fi, AA, etc.. You're paying top dollar for the name, that is it. JL is good quality but you can achieve what you're looking for in a more budget friendly manner. Unless money is no issue, then by all means..

I never though of jl as a spl sub.,just as a clean,musical one.

Now I heard 2 10s a while back ported that would get down,custom enclosure though.

Sounds like a bad install. 12's dont dig deeper than 10's just because of size. Im betting you run a prefab box that isnt designed for your sub.

Sounds like a bad install. 12's dont dig deeper than 10's just because of size. Im betting you run a prefab box that isnt designed for your sub.
He runs that JL in the prefab enclosure that was built for it. Its his avatar

You can accomplish a lot by changing boxes and nothing at all by changing amplifiers, in both SPL and SQ. The box is, imo, 95% of the quality of your sub stage regardless the size of the subs.

And please, don't get caught up in the myth that smaller subs somehow play different bass than larger ones. They all play the same notes, at the same speed. Some are more efficient at higher notes and some are more efficient at lower ones but all of them play from 20-80Hz.

Two 10s doing work like larger subs:

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.