DIY enclosure project for 6.5" components

Participant count
  • Participant list

Amitprog

CarAudio.com Newbie
India
Hi,

I am Amit writing from Bombay, India. My present setup is a pair of focal K2 powers for front. Pair of focal PS165v1 Polyglass for rear. DD 3512 woofer.

I wanted to do a small DIY project in which I wish to make a custom enclosure for the rear Polyglass components and place it in the boot. I am driving a VW Polo. So I have a small tower type enclosure in mind which in wish to make and place it in the boot.

Using some online calculators for enclosure design. I have a few results.

All specs of the driver have been taken from the manufacturer spec.sheet.
The Polyglass PS165V1 according to calculators need an enclosure of about 2.49ft3. And this is a ported enclosure. For sealed box, the calculations seems overly wrong as calculation say that box volume for sealed would be about 4 ft3.

My DD sub is already in a box of 2.5ft3 which is as per the DD recommended parameters.

So here are my questions.

1) Why would a 6.5" single focal driver need 2.49ft3 whereas the DD 12" sub needs about 2.5ft3?

2) I think I have carefully checked my calculations then why does sealed box dimensions are more than ported box dimensions? Whereas it would the other way around.

Need help in understanding why the ported enclosure of a whopping size 2.49 ft3 would be needed for this 6.5" driver!

In the process of building sealed boxes for 4 crescendo pwx 8's. I had to pull parameters myself and after punching everything into bassbox pro I found that the drivers couldn't handle their rms rating without hitting x max unless they were in a .2 cubic foot box or smaller.
I agree that you should call focal and get further info but you should also use design software to see how the driver is going to perform before committing to a design.
20210131_163610.jpg
20210131_163603.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.