DIY budget Home Theater subwoofer?

Ive waded through most of that and I havent found what im looking for.
How low do Ascendant Audio Atlas's go?

I am familiar with Car Audio but not HT, how low would you normally port a box?
thad, what are you tryin to do man?? tell us. asking questions that don't seem to be related won't help anybody out. tell us your plans you have.

ok nevermind. i see

I am building a small budget home theater setup for my Xbox 360/Computer. I dont want to spend a fortune, but I may spend a little bit extra on the subwoofer than I normally would on a system. The main purpose of this is to build a system that is superior to a Klipsch Promedia 5.1/Logitech Z5500 system for around the same price.

I am going to do DIY, because I believe It is more gratifying and I will appreciate it more. Also I believe I will get more for my money, and it will be something that is completely custom.

Dylan has helped me so far with finding satellites. The Aurasound 3" Extended range 193s look great, they extend to 80hz. I can get them for roughly $11 and will not have to build xovers, as its only 1 driver. Dylan mentioned I would probably need a passive filter, Ive never heard of/worked with these and would like an explanation on these. Im assuming they use capacitors and what not that are usually affiliated with xovers. I am open to anything and would love to build them on my own...I just need a little bit of help along the way.

Is the DVC the best option for under $100? How does it compare to the Atlas/Dayton Reference HiFi?

How much better overall would the subwoofer be if I threw an extra $300 at it?

IDMax/Avalanche paired with a Behringer Europower EP1500 (1400 watts) or EP2500 (2400 watts both at 4ohm)

~$250-280 + $250/$300

$500-600 overall compared to $300~325 for the Dayton/Atlas option with the A500

What kind of output should I expect from a DVC? Hornloading is an option if it radically increases output and clarity, although it would occupy more space I am open to that.

gatdamm man, why are you so anxious!?!? u tryin to get this all done tonight by 10:37pm?? calm down sonny.

dayton DVC is a good choice. ever heard of adire?? well these and tempest are quiet similiar. look at their TS specs. you can go on ebay and look at used subs if u want. atlas are good also from what i heard, but the DVC is cheaper.

you can also use a IDMAX or an avalanche, but why?? save some dough.

and you're not gonna need 1400 watts. some people use that much, but they have multiple subs and alotta ppl w/ that much power have an IB setup so it can knock down to 8 - 13Hz and up. most people are happy w/ 250 watts , some are with 350 watts most smile at 500 watts and nobody will ever complain w/ 1000 watts.

go with your cheaper option. don't know much about hornloading. wait more than 20 minutes for answer, you'll get something OR post this same questions on different boards.

You simply can't do a decent DIY sub for $100. I would really stretch the # figure to about $300-400. If you want a decent sub for now, get one of these commercial subs:

BIC Acoustech H-100

Cadence X-Sub

Mirage S10

Sony SA-WX500 or WX700

Dayton Audio 12 (partsexpress)

JP

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.