Ditch the Subwoofers?

ZPilot
10+ year member

I have a 350Z with JL amps (300.2 and 500.1), XRi Competition separates, and a Stealthbox with 2 10w3's. It has been a royal PITA because the mid-bass dries up on the freeway despite my sound deadening and sealed enclosures. The Clarion HU has no real EQ, so it's hard to tune the system.

I took the Stealthbox out to have a repair done (shop inflicted damage), and drove home for 3 hours on the interstate. The system sounds great without the subs! For whatever reason, I can hear the bass guitar better now, and there is none of the loud/soft freqs from the sound waves cancelling/magnifying each other (I forget the tech term for this). The woofers in my doors go down to 48Hz, which aint bad.

I got my Stereophile test disk #3 and listened to chromatic scales and various test tones. The lower register isn't as loud as the upper register, but it's all there. The system still needs some tuning, but I'm thinking about getting rid of the subs and 500.1 altogether.

Anyone else running without subs?

I would think about adding an EQ and tuning.
This would be a good way to spend the money from selling the subs/amp. Maybe I could run a smaller sub just to fill in deep bass (30-60 HZ) if I miss it.

What's a good eq for $100-$300?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.