Distance from subs to tail lights?

murph
10+ year member

Low for Life
Richmond,VA
I have my subs as from from the rear as possible for breathing room but with them closer but still not too close would there be any difference in sound and output. Also I like the lowend more so if there is any correlation with that. This is in trunk cars.

p.s. My subs and port are facing the rear

this varies car to car my cruze liked up fire rather than rear fired. i suggest un bolting the box and moving it with the vehicle stationary till u find the sweet spot then bolt it back down. a termlab can make this easier but isnt necessary

this varies car to car my cruze liked up fire rather than rear fired. i suggest un bolting the box and moving it with the vehicle stationary till u find the sweet spot then bolt it back down. a termlab can make this easier but isnt necessary
Yeah I have already had a up firing setup and it was very inefficient in my car. I was just looking for maybe more of a general thesis on distance mainly for lowend output. It will be a pita for me to test it atm but if there is a general distance that works better in most cases I will make a try at it.

Mine seemed to do the best if I had my sub as close to the rear of the car as possible, without the excursion of the sub hitting anything. Both sub and port facing the rear of the car.

Mine seemed to do the best if I had my sub as close to the rear of the car as possible, without the excursion of the sub hitting anything. Both sub and port facing the rear of the car.
Do you listen to mainly lowend like 25-34 and if so how does it perform?

I haven't played much with it but wouldn't it dampen the low end since its not moving as much air forward? or I guess the same could be said for it pushing the air backwards instead.

I haven't played much with it but wouldn't it dampen the low end since its not moving as much air forward? or I guess the same could be said for it pushing the air backwards instead.
See this is why I get confused also. Even though the subs wouldn't directly move as much air forward when very close the opposite effect would happen were the air that hits the back would more violently thrust back into the cabin.

Yeah I mainly listened to music in that frequency range and had the best response if i put the box as close to the rear of the car as possible, with both sub and port facing back.

Yeah I mainly listened to music in that frequency range and had the best response if i put the box as close to the rear of the car as possible, with both sub and port facing back.
I'll give it a try tomorrow I'll have to unscrew 3 L-brackets... (one of which has been a pita to get unscrewed)

generally you want the speaker to load off of a barrier id say try 4-6 inches from the back and gradually slide it forward.
Yeah I always thought it was like that but also doesn't it come out more muffled when placed closer to the trunk opening

not normally given the speaker has enough room to breath. my shallows for instance are mere inches from the floor and they play fine down to 30 hz the only reason im switching to p3 shallows is for the bigger motor and being able to port to 30hz like i like to do. as long as the barrier is sound deadened and you have adequate room for the sound waves to escape the front of the cone u should be good. the variation in speaker design makes making a general measurement near impossible

My subs are about 6" from rear deck and my port is about 6-8"'s from trunk lid.. My last setup I had subs and port a good 2ft from rear lid and had good results was unable with that setup to get box any closer due to amps. Trial and error my friend...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.