direction of box in a truck and a car?

Participant count
  • Participant list

quintonre
10+ year member

Kentucky
This is just an off the wall question trying to figure out why my 12 is not matching to my friends 10

In every car system I have ever seen the subwoofer box has always had the sub facing out the trunk, why is it reversed in a truck?

It seems like in a car the woofer always hits a lot harder.

I am running a

kenwood excelon 12"

alpine MRPm500 amp

alpine headunit

fierce audio ported truck box

single cab 99 ranger.

Bass boost is on 0

treble on 7

I am confused because my friend had a 10" sub pushed by 500 watts and it would make his cars tassel inflate and dance also it felt like the bass was hitting you in the chest.

My 12" in such a smaller space is not reaching these expectations?

Does anyone have any ideas?

I can answer any questions.

well in a truck the subs are right behind your head and it would be pointless to turn them around. In a car, it would be impraticle to put subs in your backseat facing you, unless it was like a 370z or ZR1 or some **** where you had that open space. I'm sure you've heard of the bass bouncing off the trunk wall then to your head - it kinda acts like another amp to an extent, just spacing the waves more so you hear better. In a truck you could turn them around but it would be stupid.

Also when your sub is in a car trunk, it's like a box, in a box, and in a truck your bass just travels from the sub to your head. The car's subs are already, obviously in one box, but they're also in the trunk that is usually seperated by a back seat that has a lot of sound dedning material, so it just makes the bass that much deeper. In the truck it's bouncing off the windows and walls and it's to you. There's no trunk for the bass waves to travel through.

So sorry if im rambling but i'm trying to explain the best I can on why I think you're bass is not as good as his.

I actually found a video that is exactly the same potential as my subwoofer.

on the lows my tassel does the exact same thing. (when it is moving slightly)

but when the sub hits another note the tassel goes crazy... my subwoofer does not push my tassel to dance like his does except for on the low notes.

my system is every bit of what that guys is in the video...

Information that might help...

this kenwood excelon 12" is outbeating a rockford 12" p1 I previously had a good bit.

Could it be because my amp is tuned wrong?

the hp and lp filter?

It also confuses me because my woofer is 1400wpeak pushed by 1000w peak and his is 2000w peak pushed by 1200 watts?

leads me to believe mine should perform better.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.