Differences in frequency

Oh heavens YES there is math involved! I'm an Electrical Engineer by degree, THE most math intensive engineering degree there is I think. For example all other things being equal, a signal to be "twice" as loud it must be TEN decibels louder, not twice! And the reason clipping and the basic "square wave" is so damaging is because a square wave is analytically made up of a combination of many higher frequencies than the fundamental frequency being produced. In Fourier analysis, the mathematical representation of a square wave is an infinite series of additive and diminishing intensity higher frequencies than only the fundamental frequency.
John Kuthe...
He is exactly correct, I have a Bachelor of audio engineering.

Hey everybody! LOOK! I was called "exactly correct" by an audio engineer!! Still think I'm full of BS? Yeah probably and you probably voted for King Drumpf too!

Duck El-Camino! You will not get any good press here allying anything I say here.

John Kuthe...

I'm not sure about the vibe around here and I'm not looking for good press or alliances for any purpose or self promotion. But if you are right, those who are qualified should support. Not those who don't agree and think they are qualified. If you don't agree then support your argument (Back it up) for the good and value of information as this is a site for resources not egos. I have seen sites where mods & head honchos site articles and write up essays that are ********, based on opinions not facts. The info is taken as bible because he said so and, if you don't agree you get bullied, berated & banned. I hope this is not one of them.

For those who like using calculators

it is correct and decibel (SPL) is logarithmic.

Sound pressure level (SPL) or acoustic pressure level is a logarithmic measure of the effective pressure of a sound relative to a reference value.

Sound pressure level, denoted Lp and measured in dB, is defined by[4] (wikipedia, 21016) retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_(logarithmic_quantity)

In simpler terms, think of it as a ratio. So 40db is not half as loud as 80db but a ratio of. so to get 80db spl from 40db spl, you would need more than 100% more power according to the ratio. This is because if pascals was used as a reference for sound pressure being that it is the unit of measure for pressure and sound is pressure, the numbers would be ridiculously small. 1 pascal is equal to 94 db spl So, to simplify the measurement, we use db spl. All it is is another form of expressing numbers and values.

The Decibel

A logarithm function is the inverse of the exponent function. Examples of exponents are:

102 = 100

103 = 1000

10-1 = 0.1

The inverse of this, the logarithm function (log10), is as follows:

log10(100) = 2

log10(1000) = 3

log10(0.1) = -1

The last equation can be spoken as, “the log base 10 of 0.1 equals -1.” The decibel unit (symbol dB) is a logarithmic unit expressing the ratio between two values. The decibel was named in honor of the famous scientist Alexander Graham Bell (1847-1922). When measuring sound, we use the following logarithmic formula to determine the sound pressure level (SPL) in decibels.

(Thermax jackets, 2015). Retrieved from How To Calculate Sound Pressure & Sound Pressure Level

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure about the vibe around here and I'm not looking for good press or alliances for any purpose or self promotion. But if you are right, those who are qualified should support. Not those who don't agree and think they are qualified. If you don't agree then support your argument (Back it up) for the good and value of information as this is a site for resources not egos. I have seen sites where mods & head honchos site articles and write up essays that are ********, based on opinions not facts. The info is taken as bible because he said so and, if you don't agree you get bullied, berated & banned. I hope this is not one of them.
Yep, fallacy of authority! Back up what you say with objective facts.

I tried, there's one particular denizen of Caraudio.com who doubted that my EE diploma I scanned and posted her and said it was fake! HA! Yeah right!

John Kuthe...

I wouldn't post my certificates in this digital environment or in any except for email. Contributors should research the truth and actually filter the added content here or the site will foster a culture of propagated lies, notions, assertions and paradigms with game theory, (one up manship). Because if you really are interested in audio, you would. Even though it is the responsibility of the Mod, it's also the responsibility of the members to be fair and contribute positively.

I wouldn't post my certificates in this digital environment or in any except for email. Contributors should research the truth and actually filter the added content here or the site will foster a culture of propagated lies, notions, assertions and paradigms with game theory, (one up manship). Because if you really are interested in audio, you would. Even though it is the responsibility of the Mod, it's also the responsibility of the members to be fair and contribute positively.
Emails unless encrypted are inherently NON secure. I know, I was an email admin most of my IT career.

John Kuthe...

Looks like nothing is safe nowadays. I send and receive digital contracts, music release forms, performance agreement forms, stuff like that. Everything is digital now. It's a bit concerning.
Pretty much! Ever read Orwell's "1984"? Big Brother is REAL and WE BUILT IT!! Carry a smart phone? You know that even when shut "off" they can be tracked via GPS!

John Kuthe...

Oh heavens YES there is math involved! I'm an Electrical Engineer by degree, THE most math intensive engineering degree there is I think. For example all other things being equal, a signal to be "twice" as loud it must be TEN decibels louder, not twice! And the reason clipping and the basic "square wave" is so damaging is because a square wave is analytically made up of a combination of many higher frequencies than the fundamental frequency being produced. In Fourier analysis, the mathematical representation of a square wave is an infinite series of additive and diminishing intensity higher frequencies than only the fundamental frequency.
John Kuthe...
There's fine print for 10 dB = 2x as "loud"....

that's a rule of thumb that has been only empirically observed; not mathematically justified.

Do you knows how common logarithms work, mathematically? Objective sound pressure levels, that's how. Measured.
John Kuthe...
Yes, I know how logarithms work. I'm puzzled how anyone could mathematically show that 10dB is twice as a perceived loudness independent of physical parameters.

Please show me the error of my ways.

P.S. Are we making the distinction between SPL and perceived loudness?

Yes, I know how logarithms work. I'm puzzled how anyone could mathematically show that 10dB is twice as a perceived loudness independent of physical parameters.
Please show me the error of my ways.

P.S. Are we making the distinction between SPL and perceived loudness?
Evidently not. SPL is OBJECTIVE, "loudness" is subjective!

John Kuthe...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.