Did my friend get ripped with 4 mtx 4000's

jrmax
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
oklahoma
Alright here is the lowdown. I have a friend with 4 MTX 4000's in a ext cab s-10 80's model. I am not sure what amp he is running and he claims he has 1300$ in the system and I believe it seeing he got it from circuit city. But the deal is it doesnt hit not even with the windows down even if I sit inside it *****. I was wondering what you guys think it might be maybe bad install lack of amp or even not enough airspace!? Give me your comments on if you think it should hit or not becaused I am stumped I looked it over and it seems like circuit city screwed him on the install. I am so stumped I didnt mention it sounding like **** to him because he thinks it is the ****. He just got it and told me to look out for cops while he turned it up and I was standing 3 feet away and could barely feel it. It was hard not to laugh!

lol funny story //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif What kinda box does he have for the subs?

it could be the box the amp or the subs just **** the 4000s cost about 50-60$a each its just the clasic case of geting what you pay for theres a reason that those subs are so cheap wait until he hears somthing better with less subs then he will know his system is not so hot

Actually I think it is mostly the box, I had a friend who had bought 4 sony 10's, and he had it in an enclosure that probably wasn't even big enough for 2. ( toyota tacoma) He also bought them from circuit city. I told him to take two of them back, and we built him a nice box. I have to give sony some credit for this, they put out more bass than I expected. Also, make sure your amp is giving enough power, but I'd say primarily, with 4-10's, you should at least be hitting in the 130's, and since you say it *****, then I'd have to say the enclosure. So depending on the size of his truck, he might be better off with just 2-3, just to give the subs, a little extra airspace.

yea, thats surprising, cus id think that 4 of em would be pretty loud, cus mtx makes a good cheep sub. true the 4000's are there lowest and cheapest sub, but they give u a big bang for your buck. umm they usually cost about 70 bucks a pop, but u can get em on ebay for like 25 or 30, if i were him i would have gone with the 6000's though, they cost just a little bit more, but there a lot louder, he should be running about 1200 rms, for em, to get the most out of em. cus they handle 200 a piece, but they'll take more, believe me, i have 2 of em. and with 1200 watts youll never have to run your amp wide open, cus we all know that thats a dumb thing to do. good luck.

subs just **** the 4000s cost about 50-60$a each its just the clasic case of geting what you pay for theres a reason that those subs are so cheap wait until he hears somthing better with less subs then he will know his system is not so hot
Hey I gotta disagree with the cheap sub deal. I believe do believe you get what you pay for, but if your a smart shopper, then you can always find a bargain. A year or so ago, I invested into 1-12 that cost $35 brand new. Never heard of the name, but the specs looked good, and it was straight from the manufacturer. Everyone was laughing at me cause they had never heard of the name, and the speaker was "ugly". Well after I got the 12" installed, lets just say they weren't laughing anymore, the laughs turned into, "where do I get them." Of course I didn't let them in on my little secret, they all paid a little price, for their jokes. Anyhow, Mtx makes a good sub, whether it be the 4000 or the 8000, although the 4000 is not capable of matching the output of the 8000, it is still capable of some straight up boomin.

I have heard many times that the the sound quality is less than half based on the actual product and the rest is based on the install. I would reconfigure the install. How big was the amp? If it's only a 50 watt Jensen, then yeah that's the prob. Another idea would be to just simply move the box into different positions and listen for improvement.

I'd say if he's got $1300 invested into it, then circuit city probably sold him a decent amp. But here in FL, the circuit city's I have been to and installs I have seen, they always reccomend an amp that is not even capable of pushing 3/4 of RMS. So maybe a bigger amp in his case will do, but I'd say the majority of the problem is probably the enclosure.

hey, if u could find out the cub's. on the box and the name and power ratings on the amp that would really help out with the situation and does the box have seperate chambers in it for each sub, or is it one big box, and how many ohms are the subs in? and do they match up with the amp?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.