Did I Fry It?

Participant count
  • Participant list

BobandSons

Well I have a Soundqubed HDS312 and a Hifonics 1200W 1 Ohm, and I was bumping hard when I started to smell this weird smell. So I go to the trunk, and it's coming from the port of the box I built ... or at least I think so ... the whole trunk smelled like it, like a industrial sort of smell. So I just shut it off for the day and I hope it'll all be good tomorrow. Now I go to class the next day and its doing something weird. It will randomly get quiet, then back up to volume, but like it doesn't sound normal when it is at normal volume. IT seems to randomly do and extra kick on the very lows.

I did the press check on the sub to make sure the voice coil didn't grind, and it all sounds well. I also have a 2 farad capacitor which I plan to remove. Also, just being honest cause I know I'm dumb as hell, I had the bass boost and gain both set to 3/4ths.

Help, please!

my hds315 gets smelly but i know what coil smell is, and i also have it on a lot more power than you that i know isnt clipped.

it sounds like you ran it a little too hard (probably hard clipped) and didnt back off in time to save it, i would start by pulling the sub out and checking the voice coils individually and see if all the leads are connected properly then try hooking it up and playing it free air at low volume.

your amp isnt putting out much power, so you're overdriving it into clipping to get it loud and its going to burn your sub up if its hard clipping

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.