Did i blow my sub?

Participant count
  • Participant list

DylanBeatz
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Wisconsin
Ive had this sub for probably 8 years, its a 12" Kicker CVR and its always been fine and today when i was bumping it suddenly shut off. I pulled over and opened the trunk and my box slid all the way to the rear of the trunk. The sub was touching the wall of the trunk so the cone had to be hitting the wall of the trunk hard. So did i blow it this way because of the contact? Its not making any noise at all. It's never done this. All the wires are fine. It didn't smell or anything or make any weird noises, just stopped playing.

Any ideas on how to check if its blown? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
If the woofer couldn't move while it was trying to play then yes you burned up the coil. The woofer needs to move to cool itself, it if couldn't move it was just building up heat and fired the coil. Get out your dmm and see what the coil reads

If the woofer couldn't move while it was trying to play then yes you burned up the coil. The woofer needs to move to cool itself, it if couldn't move it was just building up heat and fired the coil. Get out your dmm and see what the coil reads
thanks man, exactly what do i do with the dmm? Never tested a sub like that before? Put the positive in the positive and the neg in the neg and test for what?

thanks man, exactly what do i do with the dmm? Never tested a sub like that before? Put the positive in the positive and the neg in the neg and test for what?

Ohm . If the woofer is d4 it would be wired to 2ohm or 8ohm. If it reads 0 or like 874636 it's toast

okay so im pretty sure my sub is fine, it read 2.2 ohms consistently. So then i connected my dmm to my amp and played a test tone as if i was setting the gain and there's no output voltage at all. Its lighting up though. So im very confused. Does this mean my amp is blown? How do i check the fuses on it?

I'm really appreciating the feedback guys

Well i realized the protection light was on the amp and i took it to a local car audio shop and they tested it for me in their shop and the guy came back saying that it wont get out of protection mode. He said its destroyed. We also both noticed that when you pick it up and carry it that theres something inside that sounds loose.

It was a jbl p180.2. That thing was a great amp, held up for so many years and put out more power than it was rated for. I wonder what killed it, do you guys think it was because when i put this system back in my car 2 days ago that i never mounted anything in the trunk? Everything was just sliding around, i never had it like that before but i was just lazy two days ago, was meaning to get some velcro to secure everything.

alright thanks a lot man, hopefully it just died from old age and not from sliding around cuz then i feel dumb but i will definitely never let another amp and box slide around ever again

Thanks for the help everybody, you guys were great, very helpful

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.