Design Help Please: 15" TC 5200 in 4 Cubic Ft @ 28-32Hz

Vehicle : 2001 Volvo s80
Location in the vehicle: Trunk (Possibly forward facing?)

Space available (Depth x Width x Height): 14.5"D x 39"W x 16"H (All measurements are MAX)

Subwoofer make and model: TC Sounds (TC-5200)

Subwoofer Size: 15"

Number of Subwoofers: 1

Type of Port (Kerfed, Slot, Aero, etc.): Slot (Will do Aero if needed)

What type of music do you like?: Dubstep, Electro, Classic rock, and Rap(for lows don't care for the music).

Is your goal SPL or Everyday Music?: Im looking for an in between, I love SPL but need definition between the sounds. So more like an SQL setup.

Tuning Freq (Hz): 28-32Hz is what I have been recommended for this sub. Although I am very open to opinions.

Volume: 4 Cubic Ft

Amp: Mmats 3500.05 at .3 or .6 ohms. (Input needed as well, adding 30% resistance for nominal would leave me at .4 or .8)

Questions: I have a few dilemmas with this build for the following reasons:

1a. The max depth I have to work with is 14.5", after accounting for the 1.5" of MDF, im left with 13" of mounting depth for the sub. The TC 5200 has a mounting depth of 11.5", leaving only 1.5" of clearance behind the sub. Would there be cooling issues with the sub because of this?

1b. Would adding a sheet of MDF to the front of the box where the sub is being mounted fix/help with the issue by adding .75" for a total of 2.25" of clearance?

2. Does anyone have any input on the tuning of the box?.. I have no experience with these drivers, I was recommended this range for tuning. TC recommends 21-34hz tuning.

3. I have built 5 boxes in the past, all slot ports, tuned 32-40. Because of my depth restriction I may have to do an aero port this time, any reason I should opt away from aero ports?

4. Also I have been having a hard time deciding whether I should aim the subs into the cab or not. If you have experience with both, what did you prefer?

Any input is very much appreciated, thanks in advance. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Clear your PMs

I have so many questions.. grr lol

Is it a problem that the tc will only have 1.25 inches of clearance behind the magnet?.. will that affect cooling?

Heres a winisd layout with the area I have available. One for a sealed box and 4 differently tuned PR box's. 20hz, 23hz, 28hz, and 33hz consecutively. The mass of the radiator was adjusted for tuning. I am having a hard time deciding which tuning to go with, interested to see some input. Im leaning towards 20hz or 23hz because of the flat response above 30hz, I just don't know how this would sound to the ear comparatively. Has anyone heard a 5200 with any of the above tunings?

http://postimg.org/image/n47x7iypf/

tc5200_pr_box.png

Any input is appreciated.

I think experimentation it the best way honestly.

As Tempest said the motor force is one of the highest of any driver.

It cane be a game changer.

I think the passive is the way to go as weight changes are easy and can be done quickly.

I think experimentation it the best way honestly.As Tempest said the motor force is one of the highest of any driver.

It cane be a game changer.

I think the passive is the way to go as weight changes are easy and can be done quickly.
I wonder if a passive radiator can be reverse mounted and still have the same effect.. that would make for some easy adjustments.

I wonder if a passive radiator can be reverse mounted and still have the same effect.. that would make for some easy adjustments.
should make no difference except that reversing will change airspace slightly in enclosure if you reverse it back later after tuning.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.