defective headunit?

Participant count
  • Participant list

agarabaghi
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
So I have a new audiopipe Bluetooth headunit I installed in the boat. Im getting TERRIBLE static from it. It is not type of static which I usually associated with a bad ground (engine whine etc..) but a constant static that gets louder as vol goes up. It does not cut off if you set the headunit to 0 also.

Symptoms:

Bad static on all sources (Bluetooth, AUX, FM/AM)

Popping noise when boat is turned off

Wiring:

HU Yellow to boat harness Yellow

HU Red 12v+ to boat harness Red

HU Blue remote to boat harness Blue

HU Ground to boat harness Black while also trying to move the ground around (ground block, and AUX battery).

Steps to correct issue:

Replaced RCAs from headunit to EQ - static

Ran RCAs directly to headunit to by pass EQ - static

Ran a different amp - Static

Ran different sets of speakers - static

Moved HU ground from harness to Aux battery - static

Moved HU ground from harness to ground strip under dash - static

The only time I got no static was if I bypassed the headunit as the source, using it to only power on the amps and hooked the iPhone directly into the amp (RCA to 3.5mm).

Am I correct at assuming more than likely the unit is bad?

Thanks for any help ...

Head unit is likely bad, but there are a few more things to check...

- measure the DC voltage at the head unit to make sure it has enough voltage. Sometimes under-voltage can cause strange noises in electronics as internal switching supplies struggle to buck the voltage to usable levels.

- Does your boat have an alternator & voltage regulator system? If so, then first make sure it is not injecting noise into the power chain by running the head unit off of a battery only for a little while (connect amp(s) and head unit to only the battery and see if noise goes away.

- If noise is gone when running on battery only, then you might need a bigger alternator, or new voltage regulator or a noise filter on the power lines to your head unit.

The boat has a GM 350 with a 100amp alternator. The old headunit which was hooked up the same way ran fine, so I don't think its the issue of the alt.

Ill check the DC voltage but I think that should be fine. Im actually returning the headunit and bought JBLs version ... hopefully I will have better luck!

i'd try wire the unit direct to the battery to make sure it's not cause by exsisting wiring in the boat
That is the second thing I suggested a few posts up //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.