Deadener question...I'm sure asked 1000000 times but....

bumpin_blazer
5,000+ posts

Only the Strong Survive
Austin,TX
I'm asking it anyway. I can't decide between SS and Edead. I've used both and liked both but right now I can't decide which would be the better solution for me. I'm getting either 1 gallon of sludge and 36.5 square feet of damp pro for 220 bucks roughly or 1 gallon of spectrum and 50sq ft of Edead 120. I haven't used the EDead stuff so any insight would be great but in my experiene the sludge and spectrum are almost like trying to figure out if you like the 38DDD or the 36DDD more lol. Cost of the spectrum/120 pack is 225 so 6 bucks more to get 14 sq ft more of deadener.

My other question that goes along with this is that I'm keeping it simple. 500w to a single most likely sealed box 12", 6.5" comps in the front door getting about 150w per side. The car is an 06' Mazda 6 hatch so sound should travel quite well but I'm looking to keep weight low and effectiveness at a maximum, hence the combo of both liquid and mat.

Liquid isn't going to save any weight. To work as well as mat, it needs to be applied as thick as the mat. At the same thickness, they weigh the same. From the choices you've presented, I'd spend it all on regular Damplifier. I haven't seen the newest version of eDead, but I have seen their previous version and they were dogs.

My reason for liquid is more because I've seen a stripped Mazda 6 and i'm wanting to put a layer of liquid deadener then cover it with a layer of mat deadener. It's nowhere near my first rodeo so keep that in mind. I'm thinking of maybe getting the spectrum and trying to find a way to get 50sq ft of their damp pro. That should be plenty and most of the damp pro will go in the doors then just over the liquid where i have it left.

My reason for liquid is more because I've seen a stripped Mazda 6 and i'm wanting to put a layer of liquid deadener then cover it with a layer of mat deadener. It's nowhere near my first rodeo so keep that in mind. I'm thinking of maybe getting the spectrum and trying to find a way to get 50sq ft of their damp pro. That should be plenty and most of the damp pro will go in the doors then just over the liquid where i have it left.
You definitely don't want to put mat on top of liquid. If you want to use both, it has to be the other way around. The surface of cured liquid is porous so the mat won't have as effective a bond as it would on metal. You're also effectively increasing the amount of viscoelastic material between the substrate and the constraining layer - which you don't want to do. Putting liquid on top of the mat reinforces the constraining layer, which is a good thing.

Ive used both in the same car

and the edead will come off with just a slight tug

the second skin is on there. I couldnt even get it off.

Also you can tell the qaulity of the second skin vs the edae just by holding them in your hand

The only eDead that is worth anything is their UE line. I was given a roll of it after my friend crashed his competition vehicle, but there is no way I will ever buy it for myself. I would go with multiple layers of Raammat before I would purchase eDead UE for myself! Just don't be surprised if eD give you ED.

In all honesty, I am torn between Second Skin and Dynamat Extreme for my 2006 Mustang GT.

You definitely don't want to put mat on top of liquid. If you want to use both, it has to be the other way around. The surface of cured liquid is porous so the mat won't have as effective a bond as it would on metal. You're also effectively increasing the amount of viscoelastic material between the substrate and the constraining layer - which you don't want to do. Putting liquid on top of the mat reinforces the constraining layer, which is a good thing.
In case you haven't realized it yet, you want to listen to this guy. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
Rudy and FoxPro are the two resident deadening experts here, and both are a wealth of useful information on the subject. When they speak, you should listen... in case you didn't recognize Rudy as the author of http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com

Sorry Don, if you aren't gonna sing your own praises, I'll do it for you. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

So then strip it, spray it, and be done.

The only place I could see the use of multiple layers of CLD mat being really effective is the roof.

And I'll back Rudy on the recommendation of not putting CLD mat over liquid. I've done it and it definitely is do-able, but in a sense you're decoupling something that NEEDS to be coupled to work.

Comparing any ED product to any SS product is //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Rudy and FoxPro are the two resident deadening experts here, and both are a wealth of useful information on the subject.
Hell no I'm not an expert. Experts get paid! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Sorry Don, if you aren't gonna sing your own praises, I'll do it for you. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif
Do I have to sit here and take that? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/redface.gif.62fdbfe1a101588a808c4cff71bcb942.gif

Hell no I'm not an expert. Experts get paid! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
You got that right

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.