Dead Sony CD player

JTuck

Installed a Sony CD head unit at the weeked, and the radio works perfectly....problem is the

CD doesn't! It takes the CD in fine, seems to play it okay (ie track timer starts, can fast forward, skip etc) but no sound. Any suggestions as to possible faults....or should I just take it to a repair man?

Thanks

James

sounds like the internal amplifier is faulty. If you got it new then return it. If ya bought it used then dont bother with it(Unless you paid alot for it). They charge a fortune to do repairs on those kind of things. I buy dead equipment if ya wanna sell it. I am also a electronics repair tech. I can fix it for ya for the price of the part and 20.00 for labor.Let me know

This is still a technical question so shouldn't it be in the help area?. Isn't the headunits section for questions like "Is my friends rockford deck better than my alpine?". and stuff like that.

Thanks for the advice. Excuse my ignorance, but is the internal amp solely associated with

the CD? ie does the radio signal not go through it as well? The reason I ask is that I get radio no problem, but no cd.

Bought a few years ago, then given to my brother (working), then returned to me (not-working).

When you put the CD in though it seems to play it okay (ie track timer starts, can fast forward, skip etc) but no sound!

Here is the problem.......you bought a Sony.....sorry but it is probably the unit and not much you can do to correct the problem other than take it to get fixed at a repair shop or buy a new one. Can suggest MANY better brands to buy too if you like? LOL

Originally posted by Alaxan Here is the problem.......you bought a Sony.....sorry but it is probably the unit and not much you can do to correct the problem other than take it to get fixed at a repair shop or buy a new one. Can suggest MANY better brands to buy too if you like? LOL
I've been running the same Sony deck for 4 years now...

The chances are your DAC is shot. Your optical pickup is working fine as it is processing the CD, but the information isn't making it to the preamp stage.

Originally posted by jlaine I've been running the same Sony deck for 4 years now...

The chances are your DAC is shot. Your optical pickup is working fine as it is processing the CD, but the information isn't making it to the preamp stage.
Could not agree more with the DAC unit being bad, but as mentioned before since it is not under (or does not appear to be under) warranty that it is probably not worth tryng to get repaired unless it is one of the higher end ES units that are no longer in production.

Your running an ES unit by chance?

By the way the comment was a joke because there have been a LOT of dead sony HU issues I have seen posted as of late around here. I have ran some of the sony's as well and never been happy with them aside from the ES unit I had back in '95.

Originally posted by jlaine Yes...

CDX-C910 from back in '98 to be exact... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Not for long! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Originally posted by jlaine Yes...

CDX-C910 from back in '98 to be exact... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
That's why u like the sony unit you have and it has lasted! LOL j/j But again the ES line and Sony taking it out of their product list was the biggest mistake they could do. Most of their stuff now just is not even comparable

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.