DD subs are peaky and don't get low?

A freind is running a "DD box" doing a 149.9 with a single 9518 on 2400 rated watts on basically stock electrical. It may not work for every install but its working for his.
The "DD Box" is very similar to the Shocker box that's been used with good success since '02. Large box tuned in the low 40's will get loud with that type of sub.

27-45hz within a db that is not peaky at all thats great! 

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 PM ----------

that is deff a music box
I'll call it musical when I see the numbers up to 70hz. Linear over a 17hz bandwidth isn't really that impressive, and personally I find a box that rolls off above 45hz sounds awful for music to which I like to listen.

The "DD Box" is very similar to the Shocker box that's been used with good success since '02. Large box tuned in the low 40's will get loud with that type of sub.

I'll call it musical when I see the numbers up to 70hz. Linear over a 17hz bandwidth isn't really that impressive, and personally I find a box that rolls off above 45hz sounds awful for music to which I like to listen.
I got the mid bass to cover 60 up. The 8s put a little tickle through the seats.

hispls, the dbs so close in that freq is good.

my spl box is peaks at 52hz, at 58hz it drops 3+ dbs and 47hz it drops 3dbs. spl boxes generally have a nasty peak but its what u want...

hispls, the dbs so close in that freq is good.

my spl box is peaks at 52hz, at 58hz it drops 3+ dbs and 47hz it drops 3dbs. spl boxes generally have a nasty peak but its what u want...

I got the mid bass to cover 60 up. The 8s put a little tickle through the seats.
Post your SPL numbers from 45 up and let's see what it looks like then

hispls, the dbs so close in that freq is good.my spl box is peaks at 52hz, at 58hz it drops 3+ dbs and 47hz it drops 3dbs. spl boxes generally have a nasty peak but its what u want...
This isn't an spl box. This is a "prove how low DD can play" box. You won't convince me that flat over 17hz bandwidth is some kind of accomplishment or testament to the SQ of something.

Not even knocking the equipment, but seriously, DD's design philosophy has always been (according to their website) buid a sub that works well in a particular box.

Post your SPL numbers from 45 up and let's see what it looks like then

This isn't an spl box. This is a "prove how low DD can play" box. You won't convince me that flat over 17hz bandwidth is some kind of accomplishment or testament to the SQ of something.

Not even knocking the equipment, but seriously, DD's design philosophy has always been (according to their website) buid a sub that works well in a particular box.
Didnt run them that high but there is a bit of output. Deff hard drop off at 50hz plus but what do you expect tunning that low. Show me a sub that will play the entire sub freq flat in a ported setup. One that will play down to 25 up to 80 well

I need to get my setup metered

Mine sounds flat from 23 hz up to about 50 or so

I don't play music much higher than that, and if I do, it's loud enough for me where it's at.

Didnt run them that high but there is a bit of output. Deff hard drop off at 50hz plus but what do you expect tunning that low. Show me a sub that will play the entire sub freq flat in a ported setup. One that will play down to 25 up to 80 well
Not really my scene, but I'm confident that if you asked the question of what sub can do that on a different forum somebody will have some suggestions from personal experience. The ones I've played with that I suspect could do it I never owned a meter when I owned them so I can't much comment. The point is, graph the whole thing from 20-80 and post the response on a home theater site or DIYMA and ask them if the response looks peaky.

It's cool though, those are great numbers at those frequencies and if your goal is only to play up to 45hz I'd say you nailed it, but let's not sit around pretending that's a flat response. Build the DD spec box and see what that meter tells you, I'd wager the results will be very respectable.

In addition to the sub itself, response is dependent on the enclosure AND the vehicle.

From what I can tell, the high qts of the 1500 and 2500 lines will most likely result in a peaky response. The 9512i the OP is running has more of a chance at yielding a flatter response with its specs.

And flat is not necessarily a good thing for everyone. I prefer a rising response below 80 hz to about 30hz.

I can show you LOTS. Anything with a well designed shorting ring should be able to do it. Only reason many "high end" car audio woofers can't is because of what car audio guys consider "high end' (notice I keep putting quotes lol) subs to be like. They use super stiff suspensions that lower effeciency and cause lots of mechanical noise, massive motors and coils, but use no faraday rings to control inductance. This leads to MASSIVE drop off above 60 which leads to them being useless for music.

My last subs were AV15h's. They use faraday rings to control inductance to VERY low levels. If they used a paper cone and not metal, they could easily play up to 2000hz without issue. Metal cone limits them to 500ish before cone breakup. Regardless , I was tuned at 25hz I used them crossed over at 125hz@24db/octave. Any higher and the trunk began to muffle the output too much. They were playing over 2 octaves of music and while I never metered it, to the ear, it was fairly flat and very musical. You could feel your clothes moving a bit on 60hz kick drum notes and using tones their was FAR more output capability than you'd ever get from a "midbass" from 60-100hz, 80hz modulated your voice when speaking.... Just had to cut at 40-50hz a tad due to cabin gain. My preference for frequency response is similar to the few above.. I like flat to the ear from 80-40 with a rising response below that, can't have too much low low's lol. Really in a car though that's what you want. Flat on a RTA has nothing to do with sounding good, when your talking about anything below 200hz or anything above 4000hz. Beyond that most people prefer a sloping response and it sounds more realistic, especially in a small environment.

Without at least 120db's of midbass output your not going to sound remotely close to flat on music doing a mid/low 140. My next setup will be 2 21's. B&Cs 21's. They use a 6" voice coil, have a conservative power handling of 2k a piece AND can easily play up into the midbass region with 97db/1w/1m of output.. Easily capable of 130-140db of mid bass as a pair of them, and probably nearing a 150 from 30-60hz on music, probably even larger range in a 6th order. Point is, you CAN be loud full range, just takes a different type of beast than most car audio subs. I know sundown has started using faraday rings, but the last few subs still haven't made it above 60hz very well yet, IIRC.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.