Dc-Dc step up module?

Participant count
  • Participant list

murderedtahoe
10+ year member

Mr. Low End Monster!
GA,SC
can anyone explain how these work? well i got a good idea on how they work, i guess my real question is, how do you know how many to buy based on your amplifier power? i see where they put out watts rms, does that have anything to do with know how many you would need for you current demands? Jacob if you see this please respond ive seen how you have your setup in the jeep, in Sumter SC @ an comp, never did have the time to ask you personally what i need to go by when buying these. thanks guys

They are flux caps. Harisson labs just a couple miles north of me MFG them. They are very knowledgable about their stuff. Call them up, I'm sure they can answer any and all questions.

Are you referring to the 12v-16v converters? They are usually active circuits with a step up converter and voltage regulator. You should decide how big of one you need based on how much current you expect to draw from your amps. It would be a good idea to make sure they can pass more current than you should expect your amp to draw and more than your alternator can pump out.

Are you referring to the 12v-16v converters? They are usually active circuits with a step up converter and voltage regulator. You should decide how big of one you need based on how much current you expect to draw from your amps. It would be a good idea to make sure they can pass more current than you should expect your amp to draw and more than your alternator can pump out.
cool ive read somewhere its possible to make your own using various parts you know anything of this?

these are likely based on boost converters or a handful of other designs. an issue is that you're talking about a HUGE amount of current, making this a bit less accessible.

the real issue is that many amplifiers have low-cost "unregulated" power supplies. such supplies have many good features -- low cost, low weight, high efficiency, simple design. The goal of the unregulated supply is to boost the supply voltage (12V) by some factor (like 4) to get 48V. if the battery is 10V, then the output is 40V, ect...

so to get the most power from that type of amp, you'd want to run the supply voltage as high as the manufacturer allows. that way the supply voltage is higher.

now keep in mind that amps with regulated power supplies largely ignore this. the regulated supply tries to control the output of the power supply. typically to a fixed value. in this example, a regulated power supply could output 48V for the 10V to 16V range. this actually can be annoying because a large load will cause the battery voltage to drop, causing the amp's regulation to kick in and try to draw more current. this in turns causes the battery voltage to drop a bit further.

some amps may dynamically change the power supply voltage, either as a means of protection, or to provide a constant power capability when used with different loads. this feature is the I in JL's RIPS.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.