Dashboard to Compare Speakers

Participant count
  • Participant list

Bugsysiegals

CarAudio.com Newbie
I'm looking to replace the factory sub in my 17' Ram Quad Cab and with so many different recommendations being made (Audiofrog, Dayton HO, DC Audio, Death Row, Fi Q, IA Lethal injection, ID Max, Skar, SSA, Stereo Integrity SQL, Sundown X, etc.) that I’ve analysis paralysis and am more lost than ever!!

I know I can rule out specific subs based on speaker depth or cubic feet recommendations but beyond opinions is there any scientific way to compare subs which compares speakers based on budget, SPL, SQL, value in terms of SPL/SQL per dollar spent, etc.?

In my case, I need wiring, factory deck integration (PAC AP4-CH41), amp, subs, enclosure, and would prefer to keep my budget under $2,500. I'll probably build my own enclosure similar to the NetAudio Tall fiberglass/MDF enclosure to save some cash and that enclosure should be able to fit subs with about 9″ depth for 10s and 8.25″ for 12s. A sealed box would have ~2^ft of shared airspace and ported box version would have ~2.2^ft but then its suggested to go with 10s rather than 12s. FWIW - my last system was 20+ years ago and was 4x JL 10w6's. While I thought they sounded amazing and that I'd be JL for life, perhaps I can get a great sound/value for far less?

That said, since there's so many opinions, how does a person sift through all the data and opinions to determine a Top 3/5 list of sub/speaker for their application and budget?

Last edited:
Luckily my profession is in analytics and I enjoy using facts to classify and quantify things so I've created a dashboard to help. The dashboard allows me to apply filters based on budget, speaker size, goals (quality versus volume), ohms, watts, etc., etc. and afterwards graphs the eligible speakers across various categories in order to more easily visualize the best/top speaker(s).

To better illustrate the value of the dashboard ... based on the data in the chart, it's easy to see the Fi Q Series sub has one of the lowest costs related to the Watts RMS you receive, medium cost for the SPL Efficiency, and is in the Top 3 for SPL Potential. This doesn't consider speaker build quality, perhaps some other factors which would be important, and perhaps SPL Potential isn't calculated correctly but the point is to show how visualizing data makes it easy to identify what you're looking for.

That said, I need help from you audio experts/engineers to understand which valuable comparisons I should be looking at and how I can calculate their values. As you can already see, I've started with the following comparisons to begin illustrating the value you receive for the speaker price and to take a shot at SPL Potential. I'd like to add sound quality but have no clue how to measure and there's surely other valuable comparisons I'm missing too.

• Cost / Watts RMS
  • Cost / SPL (Efficiency/Sensitivity)
  • SPL Potential (Watts RMS * Xmax) ... are there other factors to consider?
I've also the following speaker build component related specs available and have listed some of their values below. Are there other important attributes which I've missed and how can I use these in some calculations or classifications for low, medium, high, etc.?

• Basket Material - always seems to be cast Aluminum
  • # of Spokes
  • Cone Material - treated paper, Nomex, Kraft Pulp Fiber Reinforced, Pressed Paper Composite, Injected Pulp Matrix Fiber Reinforced ...
  • Voice Coil Former - not even sure what this is
  • Voice Coil Material - Aluminum and Copper
  • # of Coil Wind Layers - 2, 3, 4, etc.
  • Coil Diameter - ~2.5" to 3.5"
  • Magnet Diameter - ~6.75" to 8.75"
  • Magnet Material - Ferrite and Neodymium
  • # of Magnets - 2, 3, and 4
  • Magnet Weight -
  • Spider Material - Double/Triple Progressive and Nomex
  • Tinsel Leads - Stitched, Wooven, etc.
  • Surround Material - Dual Layer Foam, Nitrile Butadiene Rubber, and Parabolic EPDM Rubber
  • Cooling - Radiator?

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.