Damping Factor vs Wire Size..

I was told by a JL dealer recently that one of JL's small footprint amps has poor damping at 2 ohms. Is it possible that some of the smallest amps have this issue???
Define "poor damping". I can't imagine DF on *any* JL amp is an "issue" - even if it is lower than others.

The way i understand it is the lower the Impedance the Better the dampening factor, to a point yeah larger guage wire over a certain distance creates more impedance but the amount of wire you would need for it to make much difference kinda seems useless. i would focus more on getting the lowest impedance possible with an amp that can handle it.

The way i understand it is the lower the Impedance the Better the dampening factor, to a point yeah larger guage wire over a certain distance creates more impedance but the amount of wire you would need for it to make much difference kinda seems useless. i would focus more on getting the lowest impedance possible with an amp that can handle it.
*Smaller* gauge wire has higher series resistance and increases the load impedance seen by the amp. The main point about DF is that it is *high enough* in almost any modern solid state amplifier you can buy today. Using the largest gauge wire you can is always a good thing //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

You guys realize that DF is constantly changing on music with impedance right? And at times dropping below 10? Why do tube amps sound so good when DF is generally very low?
Simple google search, do some reading:

Butler Audio

Damping factor

Damping Factor: Effects On System Response | Audioholics

Effect on Loudspeakers of Amplifier Damping Factor
Yes, *system* DF changes hand in hand with speaker impedance changing dynamically with music. Doesn't change the fact that *amplifier* DF is a non issue - nothing to worry about and certainly nothing to put in your top ten selection criteria when purchasing an amp.

As a far as low DF in tube amps - yes. BUT low DF is not why tube amps sound "different" or "better" - low DF is why you need huge transformers on a tube amps output and/or why you need high impedance speakers (remember 16-ohm woofers custom matched to your favorite Harmon Kardon tube amp?).

And yes, you can leverage the characteristics of low DF to tweak the bass response of a given speaker, but you can do that with a bass control, EQ, DSP, blah blah blah.

[quote name='NoLoud4U']I need to run 4awg to my tweeters.[/QUOTE]
I run 4 gauge OFC for my subs :)

You'll need 2/0 for your tweeters for better dampening though..

[quote name='James Coyle']I don't understand why we have to be jerks to each other anyway. This is an audio forum, where we're supposed to help each other learn. What's the point in being a dick? Yeah, maybe the guy has been misled a bit and looks a little silly. But, you could just *ignore* it or actually help him out the first time, like @trumpet ; and not make it look like audio guys are stuck-up jerks.[/QUOTE]
Wait, are you new?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

gstokes

FÜKENGRUVEN
gstokes
Beaverton, Oregon
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from