Damping Factor vs Wire Size..

gstokes

FÜKENGRUVEN
I was doing some research on load impedance and how it relates to damping factor and came across a great article from Crown Audio discussing how a larger gauge wire size will allow for a higher damping factor than a smaller gauge wire, so my question is...

If the cable or wire is large enough to handle the rated current for that circuit does that mean it also supports the highest damping factor or maybe a better way of phrasing the question, in relation to damping factor is it advantageous to run a cable that is larger than what's needed to handle rated current flow for a specified circuit, if so how could we determine what is optimum size cable ?

http://www.crownaudio.com/media/pdf/amps/damping_factor.pdf

There are no stupid questions just stupid answers, thank you for your stupid answer, it was very helpful..

Both of you ignorant bastards have been added to my ignore list, now i don't have to read your stupid answers..

There are no stupid questions just stupid answers, thank you for your stupid answer, it was very helpful..Both of you ignorant bastards have been added to my ignore list, now i don't have to read your stupid answers..
ignorant? damping factor is a quality of the amp and the wire size cannot enhance the damping factor as it's limited by the amps capability. try learning what something is rather than what some clown post on the internet to get jokers like you to create stupid threads like this.

Man is it just me or has this thread had a lot of people calling other people stupid when all of the info is making them look stupid... Don't speak up if you have no knowledge of the topic.

I don't understand why we have to be jerks to each other anyway. This is an audio forum, where we're supposed to help each other learn. What's the point in being a dick? Yeah, maybe the guy has been misled a bit and looks a little silly. But, you could just *ignore* it or actually help him out the first time, like @trumpet ; and not make it look like audio guys are stuck-up jerks.

Don't worry about damping factor. It is mostly a marketing gimmick. The DF ratings were created 'back in the day' to communicate the benefits of transistor (solid-state) designs over tube designs.

Any decent amp today has low impedance output devices (FETs usually) and DF is not an issue.

And it is correct that unless the amp terminals are welded directly to the speaker terminals, the speaker wire becomes a significant part of the *system* damping.

There is a good discussion from former JBL/Harmon audio engineer andy wehmeyer somewhere that shows a wide range of DF has very little affect on an actual sub's Qe and Qts when everything is said and done.

Don't worry about DF. Size your wire according to power & current draw and you will be fine.

Don't worry about DF. Size your wire according to power & current draw and you will be fine.
Thank-you, that is what i was looking for.. I wasn't worried so much but mainly just wanting to expand my knowledge on it so i have a better understanding..

Don't worry about damping factor. It is mostly a marketing gimmick. The DF ratings were created 'back in the day' to communicate the benefits of transistor (solid-state) designs over tube designs.
Any decent amp today has low impedance output devices (FETs usually) and DF is not an issue.

And it is correct that unless the amp terminals are welded directly to the speaker terminals, the speaker wire becomes a significant part of the *system* damping.

There is a good discussion from former JBL/Harmon audio engineer andy wehmeyer somewhere that shows a wide range of DF has very little affect on an actual sub's Qe and Qts when everything is said and done.

I was told by a JL dealer recently that one of JL's small footprint amps has poor damping at 2 ohms. Is it possible that some of the smallest amps have this issue???

ignorant? damping factor is a quality of the amp and the wire size cannot enhance the damping factor as it's limited by the amps capability. try learning what something is rather than what some clown post on the internet to get jokers like you to create stupid threads like this.
That "clown" is Crown Audio. You're pretty thick if you think you know more than that company.

But yeah OP, don't really worry about damping factor.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

gstokes

FÜKENGRUVEN
gstokes
Beaverton, Oregon
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from