Cut through help

Participant count
  • Participant list

FarrisAudio
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
ky
I am doing a cut through in my 89 ford. It is a ported enclosure, for 2 15's. If I make the cut through hole fairly big, will i run into trouble with the back glass flexing, possibly breaking? just because there wont be as much metal below it.

Thanks.

I am doing a cut through in my 89 ford. It is a ported enclosure, for 2 15's. If I make the cut through hole fairly big, will i run into trouble with the back glass flexing, possibly breaking? just because there wont be as much metal below it.

Thanks.
Well, obviously the bigger it is, the less structural integrity that back wall is going have.

However, if you are doing a ported enclosure, the cutout will need to be pretty large, and i would reccomend doing some kind of bracing or incorporating the front structure of your box into that cutout.

If you did a bandpass enclosure, you could get away with a smaller cutout (just enough area for a port rather than the whole face of a ported box.

The easy way is to use ¾ or more MDF to build a reinforcement face plate (side-to-side top-to-bottom)

If you’re really worried about it use steel

DSC06321.jpg

scan0004.jpg

scan0007.jpg

ah ok. i can get flat stock from work, i was thinking of bolting a long peice across the bottom of my window.

Hey Zier do you design those boxes as a regular ported design or does the front area make it like a bandpass?

The first picture is a new Chevy truck with a bed-cut 3-12”

And it is a Band Pass; what see is the port going in to the box

The first picture is a new Chevy truck with a bed-cut 3-12”And it is a Band Pass; what see is the port going in to the box
Sorry I was referring to the bottom picture with the baffles in a V and the port in the back. Does the size of the area in front of the subs kind of create a 6th order bandpass effect?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.