cut canbus headunit harness wires

Participant count
  • Participant list

brendomac👀

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey guys so about a year ago I bought a 2009 Chrysler town & country off my parents and have plans to make it stupid loud. I recently bought a beginner kit just to throw in there for now Skar dual 12” 2,400 watt SDR series complete package that came with the RP-1500.1D amp. I got everything in place and wired it up the best I could, I kinda jest set everything in there sloppy with no cable management because I’m gonna have to rip it all up again soon for another project. So while I was wiring the lc2i up I read somewhere that u can cut headunit constant and ground and tap lc2i power from there(not knowing I could’ve just got power from the amp) but the 09 town and country has canbus or whatever and the stereo will not turn on so I had some guy do this for $20 and said it would work but it doesn’t!
I would really appreciate any help or feedback!.

Hey guys so about a year ago I bought a 2009 Chrysler town & country off my parents and have plans to make it stupid loud. I recently bought a beginner kit just to throw in there for now Skar dual 12” 2,400 watt SDR series complete package that came with the RP-1500.1D amp. I got everything in place and wired it up the best I could, I kinda jest set everything in there sloppy with no cable management because I’m gonna have to rip it all up again soon for another project. So while I was wiring the lc2i up I read somewhere that u can cut headunit constant and ground and tap lc2i power from there(not knowing I could’ve just got power from the amp) but the 09 town and country has canbus or whatever and the stereo will not turn on so I had some guy do this for $20 and said it would work but it doesn’t!
I would really appreciate any help or feedback!.
View attachment 22536View attachment 22537
Yeah you/he dun goofed. You should never mess with the car side of a harness. What you need is an adapter harness and SWC converter, but now that you've ripped it up you'll be lucky that it even makes connection for long. Crimps will eventually fail, especially those because they weren't properly heatshrunk either. If it's canbus you either get the signal from a separate unit that goes between the car and the radio or you tap a fuse that's reliant on the key. First step for me would be removing those crimps, cleaning the wire, crossing and twisting them together similar to this:
and soldering them, then sliding heatshrink over the top and activating it with a heat gun. That's the only thing that'll give you a long term reliable connection in a car with all of the weathering and vibration they deal with.
After you get the OEM unit working again then you can buy an aftermarket converter and radio harness adapter and do it correctly. If there's no ignition wire offered from the adapter you can use a fuse tap for that. The LC2i shouldn't interact with the car's wiring except the speaker output, which should be a speaker adapter, spliced to wires and some terminal connectors or fins that will connect to the speaker while the wires go off to the LOC, care should be used to avoid modifying the car permanently in any way, not just for resale, but reliability. You can buy and chop anything you buy separately endlessly, but you can't easily replace car wiring and it'll never be the same.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.