Custom Enclosure for SPL 15

Sub Bass Woofrz
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Camas, WA
Hey so i recently picked up a custom built SPL 15 off this forum, since its custom i dont have any ts specs but i was told by SPL audio to go with 3.5 cubes tuned to 35-40 hz... So i contacted the local-enclosure builder but his wait time was 2-3 weeks //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif... so i looked on craigslist and found a custom enclosure for a 15 sub... only problem its not quite the specs SPL quoted me, its quite a bit bigger and tuned a little lower. My question is... is it ok to run this sub in a box thats 27.5 wide x 16.5 tall x 22.5 deep, about 4.5 cubes after port, wood and speaker displacement. With a port tuned to low 30s... like 33 or 34... Will it damage the sub, will it sound bad, will it lower the spl of the sub???? any help would be greatly appreciated.

If it does bottom out you'll definitely hear it. Just put less power to it than you normally would and set your gains correctly and it should work. Have you asked Corey if it would work alright in that box? He'd be the one to ask seeing as how he designed the sub.

Just tested out the sub, sounds good on low frequencies... some frequencies just sound a little off, hard to explain, not quite as loud. Im only running 1k watts to the sub, i was told it could take 2k rms with its 8 layer 3" voice coil and dual spiders, need another opinion though.

Just tested out the sub, sounds good on low frequencies... some frequencies just sound a little off, hard to explain, not quite as loud. Im only running 1k watts to the sub, i was told it could take 2k rms with its 8 layer 3" voice coil and dual spiders, need another opinion though.
I would suggest running it around what Corey suggested... also check your Freq. settings on your amp... Also the box you picked up might not bed tuned to what he said and all that...

You need to run a subsonic filter set just below the frequency cut-off or it will certainly damage the sub (the sub will unload below the tuning freq., of the box and that might be what your hearing or why you think it sounds off )

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.