Custom box vs prefab

Participant count
  • Participant list
You can generally play 10-20% lower than box tuning with good output and before getting into trouble. I'm not sure what program material you are playing that'll require being able to play below 30hz but have at it. Just be aware not a lot of car audio oriented woofers will perform well with home theater type tuning (trying to play flat down to 20hz). Like I said, use a round port and have a plan to test some different port lengths before you make anything too permanent.

It's just personal preference. I'm well aware of what putting a box in a car does, only heard several hundred boxes and built a couple hundred myself.

I play slowed stuff. I don't like bass abouve 65-70 hz much. IMHO, I feel like 80 hz should be considered midbass. My DC's tuned at 29 hz would play (or not unload at least) down to 20 hz, even subsonic. And it would play up to 65 hz with only a 2db drop from my peak at 35 hz. There's many woofer that will play low. A lot of SQ people tune in the mid to high 20's, for a reason. I talked to both the owners of SSA, one of them tunes his boxes to 25 hz. Their subs handle low tuning, like @Marve_Lous has his Icon @ 28 hz for chopped and screwed music. I've been designing for years, I realize what tunings do what. A lot of people like where I tune their boxes, if they don't have something already in mind for themselves.

Last edited:
I thought it would be solid sub and still believe so. Custom box seems to be the general consensus when it comes down really bringing a a woofer to life. One note fart machine. Sounds about right lol
Those Q-bomb prefabs are basically fart machines. There not for a daily systems there for low-end SPL systems (usually paired with something like kicker or DB drive).

32-38hz is actually pretty standard for daily setups

So if you were on a road trip up to Jacksonville or out in the yard working with your headphones on you'd just line up a couple hours worth of **** played at half speed?

Not always, but I do tend to prefer songs that don't play above the 40's, really. I love low notes, what's wrong with that?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.