Cursed stereo system

Participant count
  • Participant list

Mntngoat77

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello!
So, I have a problem, my vehicle is cursed. At least that is the only other option I can see.

So to start off with some background, this summer, my 98 Jeep Cherokee was starting to sound kind of lame, so I decided the factory speakers need to go in favor of Kenwood KFC-1666S in the front and Pioneer TS-G520 in the back. Much better sound then factory, and they worked well for about a month, and then they started going out every so often. I figure that it is the head unit as it is a cheap piece of junk, and so I go and find a Kenwood, and get it in and...nothing. works for about ten seconds and then the speakers go out. so the radio is on, and shows it is playing, but no sound is coming out. Luckily, I installed it in the parking lot, so I took it right back in and exchanged it for a Sony MEX-N4380BT. Installed it, and didn't have problems with it for about a month at which point it starts wigging out and only plays sometimes for maybe 2 minutes at a time before the sound goes away again.

Frustrating. Okay, so I pull it out, check all the connections, everything is good, I check the speaker resistances from the dash, all are right about where they need to be, around three or four ohms, so I figure that it is the head unit. I call up Sony, and they take it back and send me a new one under warranty, It arrives, I install it...and it works for twenty seconds and then the sound goes away. again. Even more frustrating. leave it for a while because final exams, and then I come back, rewire it in, and it works. then the next day, I start it up, and nothing. When I say nothing, I mean that the stereo is on, and shows that it is playing, but no sound is coming out no matter how loud, no matter what channel. I would love and appreciate absolutely any suggestions, I have absolutely run out of all ideas as to what it could be. All the fuses are good, all the speakers have the right resistance, car does not have a built in amp, idk...

Thank you so much for your ideas!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.