Curious about difference between 1well powered 10, vs 2 medium powered.

HardcoreBob

Senior VIP Member
Dallas
I have a pair of old school Rockford HX2s, 4 ohm DVC, 500rms, 1000max...

One of them I’m working on getting repaired...

My question is what kind of sound, sonic, hearable, difference would there be between having 1 10” that is being fed 750 watts (rms is 500)... and 2 10s being fed the same 750 watts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a pair of old school Rockford HX2s, 4 ohm DVC, 500rms, 1000max...
One of them I’m working on getting repaired...

My question is what kind of sound, sonic, hearable, difference would there be between having 1 10” that is being fed 750 watts (rms is 500)... and 2 10s being fed the same 750 watts.

u gonna port it? do 1 with that power..

Thanks, I was kind of wondering if it would have a more “full” feel to it, having the two tens, you know having space between them, one on each side of truck... it’s kind of a moot point now, I got the good news today that a local shop can still confidently repair that model.

u gonna port it? do 1 with that power..
Naw man, I am running sealed... I have always been led to believe if you’re particularly interested in a tighter bass “drum” response, like heavy metal type stuff, to go with sealed.

I know I like the way rap/hip hop sounds on either one, so I go with sealed to hopefully give me what I want from both/all music types.

Naw man, I am running sealed... I have always been led to believe if you’re particularly interested in a tighter bass “drum” response, like heavy metal type stuff, to go with sealed.I know I like the way rap/hip hop sounds on either one, so I go with sealed to hopefully give me what I want from both/all music types.

You have been misled about that. Ported and bandpass boxes can sound just as tight as sealed boxes.

You have been misled about that. Ported and bandpass boxes can sound just as tight as sealed boxes.
I know they “can” be great, will require less power and be louder, if everything is correct.

I’m focusing on SQ here, but I like to have some fire power when I want to dial it up.

I’m working with a limited space... (solution, sealed) although I did have the largest possible enclosure built, one that required I raise my rear seats 2 inches.

I insist on tight, accurate bass for a lot of music, and am very satisfied with these subs performance in the lower ranges in previous (crappier built) enclosures.

I know ported boxes have a lot of variables, and if I had to I could surely work those out with the dsp, but it’s just not necessary for me.

When I first said “I had been led to believe”, I had a pretty good idea, but I don’t like to state things as fact, unless I know they are, so I went back and re-educate myself and all my hunches (for my situation) were on point.

I’m not being argumentative here, I understand the strengths and flexibility of ported, I’m just making car audio conversation.[emoji12]

With the 2 tens over 1 ten you will probably notices that 2 will play lower frequencies louder. This is due to the increase in cone area. The minor bump in low frequency volume is offset at higher frequencies since with more power behind it the 1 ten can push it's cone harder.

With the proper box both will sound great but if lean more towards the 2 tens and just add more power later

I know they “can” be great, will require less power and be louder, if everything is correct.
I’m focusing on SQ here, but I like to have some fire power when I want to dial it up.

I’m working with a limited space... (solution, sealed) although I did have the largest possible enclosure built, one that required I raise my rear seats 2 inches.

I insist on tight, accurate bass for a lot of music, and am very satisfied with these subs performance in the lower ranges in previous (crappier built) enclosures.

I know ported boxes have a lot of variables, and if I had to I could surely work those out with the dsp, but it’s just not necessary for me.

When I first said “I had been led to believe”, I had a pretty good idea, but I don’t like to state things as fact, unless I know they are, so I went back and re-educate myself and all my hunches (for my situation) were on point.

I’m not being argumentative here, I understand the strengths and flexibility of ported, I’m just making car audio conversation.[emoji12]

I hear you, I always feel the need to share that ported boxes aren't always boomy sounding. Not every woofer will work in a ported setup.

If you had more space I would say try a 6th order. Those can play pretty flat and still get loud. 6th orders are trickier to design and somewhat of a trial and error thing.

doubling cone area you must also double power to net a "3db gain"if you have 1 10 reaching xmax then just add a second but not more power the result is 2 10's at 1/2 xmax, or the exact same output (technically).

there is alot more to it than that but to give you an idea you will probably be slightly louder with the 2 10's but not mind blowing.

however if you wire 1 sub to 2ohm then add a second and wire to 1 ohm chances are you will have more power. so increase power you will increase output even more. now you may be into the 3db area and start to really notice an increase in output.
Mathematically 3, realistically not that much.

The point of my short response was basically that it's not a huge gain.

Naw man, I am running sealed... I have always been led to believe if you’re particularly interested in a tighter bass “drum” response, like heavy metal type stuff, to go with sealed.I know I like the way rap/hip hop sounds on either one, so I go with sealed to hopefully give me what I want from both/all music types.

dont go medium powered in a sealed box. Get a very well built, tuned, ported box thats built to exact specs of a good single woofer and feed it power. Itll sound better than 2 sealed medium range, medium powered subs

nope thats completely wrong. I never EVER liked how metal sounded in any sealed box. Weak, lifeless and zero impact. In a properly done ported, double bass pedals pierce your lungs accurately with precision force. Properly done means you need to be tuned quite a bit higher than the typical 30-35hz recommendations, dont worry it'll still play every hip hop and rap song you throw at it as well. There's like nothing a sealed box can offer over a properly done ported. Absolutely nothing other than space saving.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.