Crossover, tweeter, or amp problem?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Mills561
10+ year member

BURR
One of my component speakers (CDT Audio CL-60) is cutting in and out at low volumes. The woofer plays continuously, but the tweeter does not. From about 0-20 it doesn't play at all; 21-30 it cuts in and out; 31-35 it plays fine. I've checked the connections at the amplifier multiple times and it seems to be fine. Have not yet checked the connections on the speaker because I doubt that is the problem. It sounds like it could only be the crossover that is the problem... Does this sound right? Is there anything I would be able to do to the crossover to affect the output or am I pretty much ****ed?

And an off topic question- is bridging component speakers a good/acceptable idea? I'm working with a 4 ch Hifonics amp that puts out 50x4@4ohm, but currently using just two of the channels. I feel like I could get more out of the highs in my system. I've got the hz set pretty high so there's no bass going to the woofer, so I'm not too worried about overpowering them.

Sounds like you've got a loose connection anywhere from the actual crossover to the actual tweeter. Check your connections on those.

No problem with bridging channels.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping not to have to check out the speaker connections because my door panel is a ***** to get off. But I'll have to do that when I get the down time.

How exactly do you go about bridging the channels? Noob question, sorry!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.