Crossover power ratings?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Bayer
10+ year member

I just recently purchased a set of CDT components here:http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=4630 ran off this amp: http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=7270 I have the amp bridged to 2 channels. I was resetting the filters and gains on the amp earlier and the crossovers were starting to make that bad overpowered electronics smell. I had no problems with the speakers, just the crossovers. they have a switch inside that has the settings -3, 0, +3. I currently have them at +3 if that matters. Any chance the crossovers arent rated to handle as much power as the speakers?

What techique are you using to set the gains and did you run the tones with the crossover disconnected from the amp or did you actually run them through the speakers. IF the crossover started to burn up while you were doing this I'd bet you ran the tones through the speakers for an extended period of time. Big no-no.

What techique are you using to set the gains and did you run the tones with the crossover disconnected from the amp or did you actually run them through the speakers. IF the crossover started to burn up while you were doing this I'd bet you ran the tones through the speakers for an extended period of time. Big no-no.
I'm setting them by ear, although I do have a fluke DMM. I'll google how to set the gains with that later tonight. I dont understand the second part of the question, but the crossovers have always been hooked up if thats the answer youre looking for. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

The crossovers have built in resistors to protect the tweeters from damage due to overpowering them. They convert the energy to hear. If you overpower them for very long they get very hot and would explain the cooking smell. Check the x-overs for burn marks. If no burn marks and they still work, then your fine.

It should have been hell'a loud. Don't do that again.

Are you setting by ear with music or tones.
I'm setting using music listening for distortion by ear but i do plan on using the fluke

The crossovers have built in resistors to protect the tweeters from damage due to overpowering them. They convert the energy to hear. If you overpower them for very long they get very hot and would explain the cooking smell. Check the x-overs for burn marks. If no burn marks and they still work, then your fine.
It should have been hell'a loud. Don't do that again.
Ya, it was hella loud thats kinda what i was going for. The amp is a little underpowered for the RMS rating, and I know CDTs can take more than the rated power so I tried to give them a little more using the gains. I had them as high as ~30% and thats when I noticed the smell. I cant take my dash apart this weekend to look at the x-overs, but what if they did get a little too hot for a short period of time, probably 30 seconds or less?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.