cross-over with amp or just 1/2 din E.Q.

Participant count
  • Participant list

jackson
10+ year member

I am running factory speakers for now and need to remove low frequency from them because at high volume they distort. Have bass all the way down on pioneer h.u. now and amp gain all the way up for my subs. Should I go with cross-over and amp or just put in a dash mount E.Q. OR would I be better with both.I was thinking if I go with both it would give me more control for highs mids and subs. WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif :banghead: //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif :)

Originally posted by Goddyd4me first off before you blow your subs turn that gain down......2nd...there is an item u can buy from crutchfield that is like 9.99 and they are called bass blockers.....good luck

Thanks, I had forgotten about those.I have the gain turned all the way up because I am pushing 4 12's with a little 500 watt majestic amp w/ 2ohm load per channel. do I still have a chance of blowing my subs?????

Originally posted by Goddyd4me yep...w/ the gain all the way up your probably going to drive the amp into clipping which will if nothing else damage the subs....

Makes sense . If I understood the other threads on amp gains correctly,they sre used to match the output voltage of your h.u. is that right? Also when I turn the gain down I do not have near the bass from my subs. Is this because the amp is to small for what I am using it for.

well....then u might not have enough power going to the subs, or the box isnt big enough, or the subs are just not very good....but u have the pioneer immp's which are not bad but not great ......how much power are they getting?

Originally posted by Goddyd4me well....then u might not have enough power going to the subs, or the box isnt big enough, or the subs are just not very good....but u have the pioneer immp's which are not bad but not great ......how much power are they getting?

sub specs say 1.5 cuft per sub I have 1.7 per sub. The amp is rated at 500 watts( 250 x 2) I do not know the rms usually about half though so I would guess about 125rms per channel.maybe 150 since I am at 2ohm. The subs say 450 watts each probably 200 rms.I am considering a 800 to 1000 watt good quality amp for subs once I get my highs and mids clean.

well i would probably suggest the jbl bp600.1 for the pair.....that might be a bit much...aprox 300w per sub...but if you dont have the volume up to high you shouldnt have a problem.....there are also some lower powered mono amps out there....a 400 or 500 watt amp would probably work best for you though.....ive prev. had the old pioneer subs taht you coujld buy at walmart and they were rated at 450w max...i was running about 300 watts to them and they sounded good....but a larger amp sounds like it would do the trick...another option would be to port your sub...you'd lose a little sq but you'd gain some sound....

Originally posted by Goddyd4me well i would probably suggest the jbl bp600.1 for the pair.....that might be a bit much...aprox 300w per sub...but if you dont have the volume up to high you shouldnt have a problem.....there are also some lower powered mono amps out there....a 400 or 500 watt amp would probably work best for you though.....ive prev. had the old pioneer subs taht you coujld buy at walmart and they were rated at 450w max...i was running about 300 watts to them and they sounded good....but a larger amp sounds like it would do the trick...another option would be to port your sub...you'd lose a little sq but you'd gain some sound....

how exactly is power divided to the subs if running 2 subs parallel into one channel and 2 subs parallel into the other channel. for example whith my setup of a 500 watt amp (250 per channel) is 125 watts going to each sub on that channel.guess what I am asking is power of a channel divided equally to both subs that channel is powering??Also I found an E.Q. at a pawn shop for 35.00 the name was Concord I did not get a model # wondering if you ever heard of this brand. Think it would be worth buying?It has front/rear/sub outputs.Also found a MTX THUNDER 60 wattsx 2 amp for 90.00 looked brand new.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.