crackling, hissing problem

Participant count
  • Participant list

Marksman
10+ year member

WI
Alright, this just developed today. For some reason, my left rear speaker is crackling. At one time, the whole thing just went out. Any clue what this could be? I checked the connections at the speaker, and they are all good. I'm guessing it's a short in the wiring somewhere.

Let me know what you think... If I can't fix it, I'll be moving up my time table for an amp for the rears

Thanks

-Marksman

Hmmm, I heard from another person that it might be a ground wire behind the head unit. Dont know for sure though...

I wouldnt think the speaker is fried! It's an Infinity Reference 3-way 6x9. Rated for 100W RMS, and i'm giving it 20 RMS off the head unit!

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

-Marksman

As someone who'se repaired audio equipment for a living, I can tell you that one of the failure modes of semiconductor amplifiers is the kind of crackle and hiss that you describe. Without hearing it for myself, it's hard to tell. It could also be a circuitboard problem inside the HU, like a solder joint that's fractured from temperature changes. If the problem is in the output stage, it won't show up when you use an external amp. If it's in the preamp, you're screwed.

Eliminate the wiring and speaker as possible culprits first. Substitute a temporary speaker in there and listen. Hopefully it's something simple like that.

Yeah, well sh*t. I dont hear any crackling now, I fumbled with the wires/harness by the speaker, just moving them around and stuff, and it's gone now. If I still have the problem when I amp it, well then, I've always wanted a better HU... Only problem is the $$$

Thanks guys!

-Marksman

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.