Could use some guidance and advice for planning a new system.

Participant count
  • Participant list

neverrain

Hi all,

Let me start off by apologizing if there is a forum specifically for system planning. I scanned them and though this was the best place. I'm new to this forum (if the post count isn't an indication). I'm planning a new system build for my 92 240sx coupe and could greatly use some expert assistance with choosing components, rear fills, a sub, and amps.

I am planning this system to run off a carputer and plan to eliminate my head unit completely, running all the audio off an Asus Zonar D2 7.1 sound card. My main goal for this is sound quality. I'm very uninterested in rattling my trunk lid, but would like the ability to turn up the music once in a while without distortion but maintaining clear quality sound across the powerband.

Since this will be using a carputer, I plan to use this for both music and movies. I am also planning on ripping out the interior and laying Dynamat (or similar) on the floors, wheel wells, trunk, doors, and possibly the firewall. This is not being included in the budget I have set for the audio aspects of the system. I have a somewhat healthy budget of $1-2k for this.

I have done some research and heard good things about CDT for components (will be 6.5" all the way around, although which model I don't know), but am completely clueless when it comes to amps and subs. I feel kinda stupid as well when it comes to understanding power handling between the speakers and the amps. So any help would be appreciated.

Lastly, I would like to use a 10" sub in a removable box. I plan to build a box that will hold everything and be removable from the trunk when needed, though that may be easier said than done. I have done some reading on this and learned that sealed boxes are better for SQ?

Help! School me please! I'm extremely willing to learn, though choosing brands and models seems like a foreign language to me.

Thank you all in advance for any advice you can provide.

If i were going to buy components i would go with these, tho the cdts might be better, i dont know, but Image dynamics is known for top notch SQ.

CTX65CS - Image Dynamics 6.5" Component Speaker System

for sub, depends on what u want, do u just want to hear notes played by subs, or do u want to get pretty loud?

for great SQ and getting somewhat loud, Image Dyanmics IDQ 10". If u want good SQ and get pretty loud for just 1 10" go for an ID MAX 10

Yea, I'm looking for better quality fill bass than I am for loudness. I would prefer if the sub could hit the bass notes properly and fill the sound well, but still have enough bump to sound decent when I want to turn it way up.

I was already looking at the IDMAX 10's, although it appears there are two different ones:

IDMAX10-D4 - Image Dynamics 10" Competition Subwoofer - Dual 4 ohms

IDMAX10-D2 - Image Dynamics 10" Competition Subwoofer - Dual 2 ohms

It looks like the Dual 4 ohms requires less enclosed space in a box. But one of my questions is, why? I'm not super with understanding the electric measurements and what exactly they mean. The trunk space for this thing is exactly huge, maybe 12" tall, by 24-30" wide. The sub may need to be angled up to work properly. Plus I need to mount amps and the computer back there, so I may need to get crafty with the space.

For sound quality, is an enclosed box better? From what I understand, you need to put more power into an enclosed sub? One of my other concerns is power. I plan to do the "big 3" and upgrade the stock alternator (80 amp) to the Nissan Quest one, which is somewhat or a direct bolt on and provides either 110 amp or 125 amp. Also, the IDMAX subs say they are rated for 1000W RMS. Is this a lot of power for an amp?

One main stopping point for me right now is finding decent quality amps in the $300-500 price range each. Once I have some quality brands to go off of, I could do a little more research into what to buy. Are any amp brands/model well known for sound quality setups that won't have my bank calling me and laughing?

I agree with Cruzer above, I would go with the ID comps over CDT as well.
As far as your carputer this link my be of interest to you-

How to set up your carPC for sound processing using foobar2000 - DIYMA.com
I'll take a look at the ID comps right now. Thanks for the additional input.

Also, I had planned to use Centrafuse for the front end in this system, but getting Centrafuse to work with Foobar looks promising. I'll have to read more into later. Looks like there is already methods to use foobar instead of WMP for Centrafuse.

If u go with an IDMAX 10", i suggest this amp to power it: Audioque: Amps: AQ1200D

that amp will provide 1200 watts to it, which is plenty. I have this same amp and i love it, and for $250 shipped its just a great product and they warranty it for a year or 2 i believe.

However if u go with this amp u will need the dual 2 ohm IDMAX in order to get it to a 1ohm load to get the 1200 watts.

I would check with woofersetc and see whats going on because they list those idmax 10s at the v3 model. however on image dynamics website they show the idmax 10" v3 2 ohm or 4 ohm only needs .6 for small sealed, or .9 for normal (optimal results)

IDMAX 10v3 dual 2 ohm specs: http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/pdf/iD%20Product%20Spec%27s/iDMax%2010%20D2%20v.3.pdf

IDMAX 10v3 dual 4 ohm specs: http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/pdf/iD%20Product%20Spec%27s/iDMax%2010%20D4%20v.3.pdf

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.